1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about signing day and non-scholarship programs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Seventy times seven, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Seventy times seven

Seventy times seven New Member

I have two local kids who are planning to play football at a Pioneer League school next year. It's FCS/Division IAA level but the league's schools don't offer scholarships for football.

My question: do those schools still do the whole binding letter of intent thing? Or is it different since there are no scholies involved. Thanks. Just trying to do my homework.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are some coaches that make up letters of intent at the DIII and NAIA level.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Joey RunningBack announced he will join the <insert school here> next season. As a Pioneer League school, <insert school here> does not offer athletic scholarships for football."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always wondered what kind of financial aid package kids get for some of those D III schools and how much their athletic ability factors into it (as well as possibly academics and need).

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can get leadership scholarships.

6. Seventy times seven

Seventy times seven New Member

I know about D3, but here is why I ask: The Pioneer League is actually NCAA Division I-AA (NCAA FCS), not D3 or NAIA ... It trumpets itself as the only DI non-scholarship football conference. I just couldn't find anything about how it treats the recruiting/signing of players, whether they have to do some kind of letter of intent or not ... just hoping someone with more knowledge can enlighten me ... thanks...

http://www.pioneer-football.org/pfl/default/

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ivy's non-scholarship too. Patriot started out that way but no more.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Better question: When can the coach comment on recruits? Typically that's after the NLI is received....but if there isn't one...

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I have another question along these lines regarding NAIA schools. Maybe Stitch can enlighten me.
    A friend's son is a baseball player. He is a freshman at an NAIA school, got slightly less than a full scholarship, though I know it is not an "athletic" scholarship. He was brought in by the baseball program and had his classes assigned so as not to conflict with baseball. He had been working out with the team since the term started in August.
    The baseball team has two seniors who play his position so he is redshirting this season.
    How does redshirting work at NAIA?
    I'm told that he is getting a bit disillusioned because he and a couple other redshirts weren't required back from Christmas break until a week after the other players. And now he is not allowed to participate in regular practices or scrimmages.
    My experience with redshirting in NCAA D-I was that redshirts did everything with the team except play in the games.
    Maybe I'm misinformed.
    Anybody know?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You are allowed to practice as a redshirt and also scrimmage if certain rules are followed such as no score kept and no admission fee charged.

The Patriot League does not offer football scholarships, at least as a whole. Schools that do offer football scholarships aren't eligible for the conference title.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20101216/NEWS/12160766/-1/NEWS04

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

The recruitment is the same, but there is no letter of intent for schools who do not provide athletic scholarships.

National Letters of Intent are binding agreements between the college and the player for a 4-year renewable scholarship, effective the next school year. Once signed, schools must honor the scholarship for at least one academic calendar year (August-May) unless the student athlete fails to qualify to the school or is otherwise ineligible to attend.

There are obviously some cases where scholarships can be pulled from a player (murder charges, etc) before he attends, but that scholarship cannot be used until the next season.

As for the Pioneer League, they can recruit all they want, but it's like recruiting for a music program or theater program. The kids are only going to get regular financial aid, not athletic scholarships, and therefore don't have to sign an NLI.

They can commit to the school all they want, just not with a contract. So if you have a kid or ten going to the Pioneer League, Patriot League, or Ivy League, just say that they'll be playing football/basketball/squash there.

Draft saved Draft deleted