1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Rutgers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Oct 19, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No one identified this quote yet? Come on fellows, you're slow on the uptake today.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Chrissy to Matt and Sean after they steal a car from the building where they are doing the stock fraud.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Chris Moltisanti, Sopranos, Season Two; Chrissy was working out of the real estate office.

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

and a small part of Cook Campus is in Milltown Borough

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, I get that. I don't get the name, but that's another topic.

So do they have a state system where there are a lot of other schools called Rutgers -- (name of small college town in New Jersey)?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's the explanation, tony. Named for Col. Henry Rutgers, Reveolutionarry War hero and philanthropist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers_University

There are 3 Rutgers branches, RU is the New Brunswick/Piscataway campus. Then there is Rutgers/Newark and Rutgers/Camden, both of which play Div. 3 sports (no football) in the New Jersey Athletic Conference.

The remainder of the NJ State system are D-3 schools as well, who play against each other in the NJAC, a very solid D-3 conference ...

7. old_tony

Thanks, spnited.

Roughly how many remaining schools are there in the NJ system, and are they of a name other than Rutgers?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

In additoon to Rutgers/Newark and Rutgers/Camden there are 8 I think...Montclair State, William Paterson, Kean, Rowan, College of New Jersey, New Jersey City, Stockton, Ramapo

9. old_tony

Thanks. I've heard of most of those. I attended a Division III school that has won a few national titles in hoops and baseball and damn near won a couple football titles, too, so I've heard of a whole lot of them.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

NJAC schools have played in a whole lot of D3 finals in all sports

Rowan had an outstanding football program when John Bunting was coaching there. Montclair and Paterson have played in the D-3 baseball World Series a number of times. Paterson and Rampo have had D-3 Final 4 hoops teams. College of NJ has had a number of women's narional championship teams.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's Trenton State College... not College of New Jersey (alumnus who hates the name change)
    Also remember that according to the school's p.r. office the correct name of the school, which is the style my paper - the only one in the country probably - uses is The College of New Jersey (or TCNJ).. the word The is part of the school name and capitalized.

For football the NJAC should really be called the NJNYCTAC because Cortland State, Buffalo State and Western Connecticut State are affiliate members.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good job boys ... and from the second season.

Draft saved Draft deleted