1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question about prep football losing streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kusportsfan, Jul 25, 2007.

1. prhack

prhack Member

Five-quarter rule, as I recall, prevents players from participating in more than five quarters during one calendar week; i.e., a kid couldn't play the first half of a junior varsity game on Thursday night and then play all four quarters of a varsity game on Friday. You'd be amazed how often it used to happen. If they've changed it now so that the clock starts running on Friday night, I doubt it comes up very much anymore. In the old days, coaches easily could run afoul of the rule while substituting J.V. players into a Friday night blowout. If there were some forfeits during the Glascock streak, that's no doubt how it happened (they've taken some epic beatings over the years).

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

You need to page Slappy on this one. I once heard about a team in Michigan that lost something like 60+ straight back in the 70s or 80s. I bet he would know.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A team here, Bourbon County, has lost 33 straight games dating back to Oct. 17, 2003. They lost three straight to close the 2003 season, and have lost all 10 games since 2004.

4. KYSportsWriter

More losing teams from Kentucky:
    Evangel Christian -- 23 straight and 28-of-30 dating back to Oct. 16, 2004. This team has two wins in school history.

Bracken County -- 26 straight, dating back to Sept. 17, 2004.

Muhlenberg North -- 26 straight, dating to Sept. 17, 2004.

North Oldham -- 16 straight, dating back to Sept. 16, 2005.

5. KYSportsWriter

From Wikipedia: East High has the distinction, as of 2005, of holding both the record for longest football winning streak (55 wins from 1965-1971) and longest football losing streak in the state of Iowa (62 games from 1999-2006).

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Red Boiling Springs HS in Tennessee has lost 47 straight dating back to 8/30/2001

The Team has been within 15 points of the opposition only once during the 47-game streak. That game was a 21-20 loss in the 2006 season.

To show how bad the team is/was, they only scored 47 points all of last year - and scored 20 in one night....

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Alexandria Bay had at least a 23-game losing streak going not too long ago. (Watertown area, upstate NY).

Worst football team I've ever seen -- of course except for Odessa-Montour (Ithaca area).

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, the intent of the rule was to keep coaches from putting guys who didn't belong there on the JV team. What it did, in reality, was cost at least one team a year a blowout victory. If you look through the annals on lincolncountyreddevils.com, a frightening shrine to one of Georgia's best programs, its notes on early-90s games against Glascock are a hoot. That was when they were dumb enough to try to play teams like Lincoln County, and they'd lose something like 68-8. The notes usually say things like "10 cheerleaders, 12 players, 2 coaches" or "hogwire around stands."

Glascock now tends to win a game or two a year, because every school that starts a football program schedules them, sometimes twice in the same season, and as they say, even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

9. KYSportsWriter

That site is pretty funny

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The simple solution to me would be to cancel the JV game.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I guarantee a streak like that wouldn't have happened to Ballsofsteel High.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I underestimated the boys from Glascock! Last year they won three, count 'em, three games, matching the most in school history. It was their second-highest winning percentage, behind only a 3-5-1 season in 2000.

Heady days, indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted