1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question about prep football losing streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kusportsfan, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kusportsfan

kusportsfan New Member

I am looking for information about current high school football losing streaks. i know parkview high school in springfield, mo., has lost 44 consecutive games entering this year, and i am trying to find out if there are any teams with longer streaks than that.

also, what is the longest losing streak anybody can remember, and what was the name and location of the school.

thanks

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In my state, the longest losing streak was 50 games, set by a team that enters this season on at least a 20-game losing streak. And I know that wasn't a national record. As for longest active losing streak, couldn't tell you.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You might try the National Federation. They may have the national record.

4. Doug Huff, semi-retired sports editor of the Wheeling (W.Va) Intelligencer could probably help you. He has written a couple of books on National High School records.
    I think there is also a website affiliated with the National Federation of High Schools?? that lists such things.
    PM me and I'll give you Doug's email address. He may not respond immediately, but he's always been pretty helpful to me.

I once called him with a question during a prep playoff game to verify a tidbit for my story.

5. bueller

bueller Member

I had a boys basketball team 10 years ago with a losing streak approaching triple digits and five years. I called the National Federation about it and they told me they don't track "negative" records.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Don't want to hurt Billy's feelings I guess.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sturgis, South Dakota, was well over 50 in a row before they finally won one last year, I think.

8. azom

azom Member

Sturgis actually had its streak go to 79 losses in a row before they won one last year. The unofficial national record is 82 straight by Glascock County HS in Georgia, from 1990-99.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bear in mind, however, that while Glascock sort of perversely refused to claim them, there were a couple of forfeits in there, caused by teams violating what was then the five-quarter rule. Whether it's officially considered the record, I can't be arsed to check.

Of note, Georgia changed its five-quarter rule a few years ago so that the clock begins ticking with Friday night's varsity game. As most JV games are played on Thursdays, it sort of defeats the purpose, one would think, if the purpose was to keep kids from getting hurt through fatigue.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Their motorcycle team, however, is undefeated.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Excuse the (still)-noob. What was the five-quarter rule?

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Finding a current streak is pretty hard. From Kentucky, Louisville Atherton has lost 27, Fulton City 14 (including forfeits)

Traip, Maine, snapped a 51-game losing streak Oct. 6 of last year with a 15-8 win at Madison, Maine.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:nMslEBLug7gJ:www.caroptionsonline.com/news/09222006/sports-

column922.html+current+high+school+football+losing+streak+record&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_East_High_School#Athletics

Draft saved Draft deleted