1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Philly cheesesteaks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jul 29, 2008.

1. astronomychal

astronomychal New Member

I'm guessing Amoroso rolls (although probably day-old), Tastycakes, and Herr's chips. That was the MO of a place called Philly Connection that we had around here.

Ours had Tastycakes so stale that the frosting didn't even stick to the plastic... and anyone who has eaten Tastycakes knows that it's not a Tastycake unless you have to peel the frosting out of the wrapper and put it back on the krimpet or cake :D.

2. astronomychal

astronomychal New Member

Capriotti's... home of the Bobbie. Greatest. Sandwich. EVER.
    Thanksgiving on a bun, and miraculously well accomplished.

3. part-timer

part-timer Member

Gotta admit Fr. Trinkle made a mean pretzel.
    Spicy brown by a landslide. Most ballparks only have the yellow. It does the trick, but it's not the same.

4. maberger

maberger Member

i know we've got Angelenos on the board -- big mikes in el segundo and hermosa are outstanding
    papa jakes in westwood is good too.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Exactly how much whiz is in Cheez Whiz?

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Green peppers? Chuck Bednarik weeps for you.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Big Mikes in El Segundo is an awesome sandwich shop, a bit expensive but really loaded sandwiches. It's my favorite place for sandwiches.
    There's another place on Lincoln Blvd. in Venice called The Great Western Steak and Hoagie Company. Really dumpy looking place. It used to be shaped like a hot dog, but over the years the hot dog extending outside the ends of the bun have broken off. Their sign says: "It's 2,500 miles to Philly, Eat Here." Place has been there forever.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you only buy pizza from people who are from italy?

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

All of these mustard endorsements are making me doubt pretzels all together. Cheese all the way. And, while I'm at it, here's a middle finger to the mustard-instead-of-ketchup people. Yeah, I said it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, I'd like to restrict myself to buying pizza from Philly, NJ or NY, but I live a long way from there, and the GF forces me to eat bad California pizza quite often.
    The guy I referred to in the anecdote above, however, bills his sandwich as a 'Philly cheesesteak,' yet he has never actually had a cheesesteak in the home of the cheesesteak. That was my beef with him.
    He's serving chunks of tri-tip on a bun with cheese instead of slices of rib-eye chopped on the griddle.
    As I mentioned, it's a good sandwich, but calling it a cheesesteak is a misnomer.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You are obviously a cretin, but we feel pity for you, not scorn.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for clearing that up, buck. i'm going over to the quickie store to get me a pocket pizza now. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted