1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Philly cheesesteaks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jul 29, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

We can still be friends, as long as you denounce any allegiance to Steak N Shake.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There's a chain here called Philly's Best. They have cheese whiz but I've never seen anybody order it. If you just order a cheese steak, it comes with provolone. I guess you have to ask for cheese whiz. But this place has rolls like in Philly and they have canned soda and chips from Philly, stuff I've never seen before here.
    The one I go to is a big Eagles hangout on NFL Sunday's. Place is packed.

3. deadliner

deadliner Member

Tony Luke's on Front and Oregon in South Philly.

4. part-timer

part-timer Member

Which, of course, is the correct answer to the question: Geno's or Pat's?

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I can take you to 5 places within 10 minutes of my house just north of Boston that serve great steak and cheese subs (they're not cheesesteaks up here).

I've been to both Pat and Geno's.....terrible. I know they are the tourist traps and there's better places to get a cheesesteak in Philly...but if they also serve the cheeswhiz stuff, F that.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Being 1,200 miles from Philly, and a 30-minute drive from the closest approximation of a cheesesteak (Steak Escape, which isn't bad for a mall food court), I've taken to making my own.
    The Sam's Club philly steak works well. It's not a sheet of cardboard steak like Steak-umms, but an actual piece of frozen meat. Grease a skillet with some butter, mix in some mushrooms, green peppers and onions, and pour on some A-1 sauce about halfway through cooking. Serve it all up on a po-boy bun.
    Yummy.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Where's the Wiz?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I prefer spicy, borwn mustard.
    But many pretzel vendors only carry yellow mustard, which is acceptable, although a distant second.
    Sadly, we have no soft pretezels here.
    There's some chain in the mall, but they always soak them in butter and add all kinds of junk to them.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I bathe in CheezWhiz. Good for the skin.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Auntie Anne's is gross.

I'm with Buck. Spicy if available, yellow if not.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've had Tony Luke's. Wasn't impressed.

12. Northern Delaware has plenty of great places (Capriotti's, Hot Spot, G&P just to name a few) that serve authentic Philly Cheesesteaks.

I'm sticking up for my home state one way or another.

Draft saved Draft deleted