1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about NFL draft

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Apr 25, 2011.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I can't get a straight answer, so of course, I came to SJ....

Since it's draft week, I wanted to do a story on some of our Bethune-Cookman alumni who were selected other than Nick Collins and Rashean Mathis.

So I look stuff up and see that our highest draft pick was Booker Reese in the 2nd round to Tampa Bay and ugh, he's considered one of the biggest busts in Buc history.

But here's what else I found -- after two years in the USFL, Lee Williams was a first-round SUPPLEMENTAL draft pick in 1984. Williams went on to a couple of pro bowl seasons for the Chargers.

Here's the question -- does a supplemental draft count as a regular draft?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No. The 1984 pick was the USFL dispersal draft and not the regular supplemental draft.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

it counts as a draft pick in the next year's draft. so, for example, the giants picked dave brown in the first round of a supplemental draft in, when, 1993? so i'd call him a first-round pick in '94. if a team uses a draft pick to select a player, be it in the regular draft or by using its same-round pick the next year in a supplemental draft, damn straight you count it as a 'draft pick.' exact same process is at work...

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He said draft pick from the regular draft. He isn't that. He is a supplemental draft pick. Same goes for expansion draft picks. It's a draft but not the NFL Draft.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Lee Williams was picked in the USFL dispersal draft. While it was called Supplemental I don't think it had the same rules as the Supplemental draft that Dave Brown or Bernie Kosar were picked so teams didn't forfeit the pick the next year.

6. daytonadan1983

The lengths I'll go to avoid writing a Booker Reese story.

Now, when I update the records, I can include Lee Williams (and Dewey Forte) with an asterisk or seperate listing under draft history.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I COVERED the Booker Reese team, and I don't even remember him being THAT terrible, but obviously, he was.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

daytonadan,

Are you entirely restricted to BCC players that were drafted? If not, I'd say the school's most accomplished alum, Hall-of-Famer Larry Little, is worth some ink. Surprisingly, he went undrafted, but his story is entertaining. I caught up with him last week at Dwight Stephenson's golf tournament because I've been doing a draft memories series for Dolphins.com.

Here's a link to the one I did on Little if that helps:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/draft-memories-larry-little

AK

9. daytonadan1983

I appreciate the heads up, Andy ... the goal of my story is to give some of the unheralded players some extra play ... we've done a lot with Larry and the Rashean Mathis-Nick Collins-Eric Weems trifecta lately.

For example, Boobie Clark was AFC rookie of the year and one of our current coaches, Terry Williams, was a 2nd rounder for the Jets.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

No problem DD. I figured you probably had done something on Little but it was only because I literally just talked to him last Monday and caught myself after he reminded me that he wasn't drafted. I still can't wrap my head around that.

AK

Draft saved Draft deleted