1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about NCAA transfer rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm reading this story and a particular piece jumps out at me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lindenwood-long-shot-gets-shot-083606436--nfl.html

Why is Washburn, or any college, allowed to limit where a student no longer enrolled there can play football? I know it's common, but I've never understood why. If a member of the marching band moves, can his first school prevent him from joining the band at his new school? What about Quiz Bowl? Or any other extracurricular? Or if a school can do it to an athlete, why not a coach? Wouldn't that be interesting, if Western Kentucky wouldn't let Bobby Petrino coach Louisville because they're an in-state rival.

This seems incredibly petty of Washburn, and when you read the rest of the story and realize the toll it took on this guy to have to work infinitely harder in order to play, it seems a terrible injustice.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know about the NCAA, but at least in the Illinois High School Association, a school can refuse an athletic release if it believes it's not a legit transfer. Of course, it rarely happens, because how are you going to prove it, and do you want another school doing that to you. The only times it happens is if someone really starts some shit. Like in the case of Ryan Koziol, a Arizona baseball commit who transferred from one Catholic school to another, with his father yelling it was because the former school's facilities sucked. The family had to go to the IHSA (and maybe to court) to get the transfer released.

As it turns out, Koziol left Arizona after one year, is playing JC ball, and will play for Illinois State next year. Maybe the Arizona facilities suck.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because the NCAA is an anti-student organization whose behavior is almost always unethical and is often borderline criminal.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was about to go off on a Ragu-sized rant.

I do think the transfer issue with schools being able to deny a kid where they can go is starting to become more limited because of PR from schools that have abused it to where they were banning kids from going to 40 or 50 schools.

The conference rival thing, I have a feeling, will be staying, although if a kid sued, like that hoops player who wanted to go to Louisville instead of Kentucky (or vice versa?), that'd go away pretty quickly, especially since now Northwestern, in their union fight, uses the NCAA rationale of how it's all about the educational experience. A kid who wants to go transfer from Alabama to Auburn, for instance, could claim that the SEC and NCAA rules are not allowing him to take part in the educational experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted