1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about men's tennis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 13, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

TORONTO (CP) - World No. 1 Roger Federer of Switzerland defeated Richard Gasquet of France 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 on Sunday to win the $2.45-million US Rogers Cup tennis title.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story/?ID=174147&hubname=

Now, I'm not a regular tennis watcher but I thought men's tennis was best out of five and women's was best out of three.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It varies depending on the tournament. All the Grand Slams are like that, obviously. But not every tournament.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks, SF.

Kinda figured that but I can't remember watching a men's tennis tourney that was best out of three

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you knew about how I feel about tennis as a sport to follow and cover, you'd appreciate how odd it was that I was the one to answer your question.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We had a lesser tour event roll through town recently, basically equivalent to AA baseball in terms of the level of play. Qualifying was such that players had to officiate their own matches, and a line judge was called in case of arguments.

Folks, there is nothing funnier than listening to 20-year-old tennis brats whine and snipe at each other like 5-year-old kids fighting over the G.I. Joe. Hell, that's half the entertainment of the first couple of days. It's fantastic stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted