1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Job Hunting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Halloffamer, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

My experience has been if the SE is going to hire you or at least likes you, then sending the updated links with a quick note won't upset him or convince him not to hire you. Also since you said at least one of the stories involves the team you will be covering, my guess is the SE is already aware of it. At least I hope so.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed it's harder to hire someone nowadays? Most newspapers have strict rules regarding hiring and it requires the interference of incompetent individuals in the HR department, many who don't know anything about putting out a newspaper and a sports Website. It used to be an editor always had a candidate in mind and pursued the candidate when there was a rare opening. Now it's all about HR. Do you find this is true or is Fredrick full of hot air. I know of 3 sports editors who told me at a recent convention this is an alarming trend.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Justifying the refilling of a position is a fight some of us have certainly had to wrangle with.
    I'm thinking HR over-involvement must be more of a chain thing.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Candidates had to fill out the web form for HR starting a few years ago, but we always bypassed HR in screening candidates. They admittedly had no idea what to look for in a reporter/editor.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought you were chained to the desk 12 hours a day, seven days a week. You went to a convention?

Doc Holliday and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. Fredrick

Good for you, Ace. That's cool you could bypass HR. I could write a book on things I've heard/seen HR do to scare off job candidates. It's pretty amazing what HR has been allowed to do at shops I'm associated with.

7. bevo

bevo Member

Have had no problems with HR. The only thing that consistently scares me off is the pay.

8. Fredrick

I'm one of the few on here who admits to working 70 hours a week or more and being paid for 40. Sad I know but "journalists" definitely have the personality that executives can bully and bleed the most out of. Those who get out never look back. But they do need to detox first so to speak.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

"Working 70 hours" is usually code for sitting around surfing the Internet the whole time.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How in the world could you find time to go to a convention if you have to work 10 hours a day every day?

Draft saved Draft deleted