1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question about harassing phone calls and an evil plan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've been getting calls repeatedly from the same company asking for the same person, despite the fact that I've informed them several times that I'm not that person, don't know the person and that I've had this number for years. I've asked multiple times to be taken off their phone list but it never works. They say they'll take me off, then I get another call an hour later.

Can anybody think of a downside to me simply pretending to be the person the next time I get such a call, and just seeing what kind of chaos I can cause the person/company? Other than I'm sure pretending to be him will cause the phone calls to continue and make them even more difficult to stop.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I had this happen at the office when some coworker was getting calls from a collector.

If you have a fax machine, I would transfer the calls directly there.

If it is a collector, you should find out if you state has laws that target this kind of thing. I once told a persistent dude some spiel that my lawyer friend told me and the calls stopped.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I like the guy who messed with the telemarketer by pretending he was a cop investigating a murder scene.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://www.jibjab.com/view/80309

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I think if you ask to be taken off their list and they don't, that's against the law. Document the facts and send it to your state office that handles it, consumer affairs or some such. I reported Sprint once.. kept getting calls from people with obvious accents yet totally american names and a blocked number... that blocked part is illegal in my state.. i reported them. the state followed up, found that 'it wasn't sprint, but someone pretending to be sprint'... yeah, right.. and the calls stopped.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticaleen?
    And what was in the grain that killed them?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As soon as they call, start ordering a pizza from them. When they say they aren't a pizza place, say "Well, you can't be Company X because they promised they'd stop calling and are now in violation of federal law."

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Next time they call, pause, quietly say "We buried him last week" and then say nothing. When the caller asks a question, sniff and sigh like you're weeping. Apologize for crying. Then launch into a long and outlandish story about how the person was killed.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kiln explosion?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's a good one.

Last time I did that, I told the caller (from India) the person in question had been attacked by a bear while hiking.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I saw the title of this thread and thought I would see Rusty on the daily police reports I go through at work.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Abducted by Jigsaw killer and died while trying to escape from ingenious but deadly trap.

Draft saved Draft deleted