1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about "first ever"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarltonBanks, May 10, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Our ASE hates it when one of the staffers writes something to the effect of it was their "first-ever" trip to the playoffs, "first-ever" shutout, "first-ever" no-hitter, etc. Does anyone else have a problem with this. He says "it's just their first, not first ever." Just curious as to what everyone thought because I didn't find it in the AP Style Book and have seen "first ever" all over the place.

2. lono

lono Active Member

First is correct.

First ever is redundant.

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

Google search shows lots of people use it:
    http://news.google.com/news?q=first%20ever&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

Of course, you can always go by the rule of never using extra words when one will suffice.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

When you are talking about something like the first occurrence in school history of something, I think first ever is more concise than "first in school history." For instance: "St. Mary's clinched its first-ever playoff berth" as opposed to "St. Mary clinched the first playoff berth in school history." But I see it both ways.

5. lono

lono Active Member

"St. Mary clinched its first playoff berth," suffices.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't think that works because its ambiguous. It doesn't state when. First playoff berth this decade? First playoff berth this year?
    First ever takes care of that.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Unless qualified, first means first.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And is still grammatically wrong. "St. Mary clinched its first playoff berth in school history" fills in the gap for readers who failed reading comprehension. For the rest of us, first means first.

10. Yeah, I'd go first and then qualify it with the appropriate modifier. First in school history eliminates confusion for even the most simple-minded.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pet peeve of mine. First is first. Hate first-ever.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Yo! What part of "first" don't you understand?

Draft saved Draft deleted