1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about ESPN and Jets camp

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would bet that all but maybe a handful (3-4) teams would give ESPN any access it wanted within reason... I think the only teams that wouldn't would probably be the Raiders, Redskins and maybe the Patriots, although ESPN has been so Patriot-friendly that maybe that wouldn't be the case...

The Jets/Tebow coverage so far this season has been beyond absurd. I think ESPN has done a good job with Broncos/Manning coverage, and while I know Tebow is popular and having him on a NYC team has to be a dream for the WWL, it's really getting ridiculous.

The Packers, Niners and Giants are basically the favorites entering this season and they've been ignored for much of camp so far...

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My question isn't so much about the worthiness of their coverage of Tebow, so much as it is about how they're bragging about the access they've been given. They make it sound like they're being given unprecedented access. So my question is really, are they getting unprecedented access from the Jets that other teams aren't giving them? Or are they just trying to play up that angle to avoid making it appear as if they're just licking their own Teboner?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Giants denied ESPN that kind of access. Coughlin said he doesn't want it and the Mara's and Tisch's don't need it.

Rex needs this coverage because his greatest claim to fame is that he lost 2 AFC Championship games.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The huge majority of the nation does not give a droplet of slippery shit about the New York Jets.

5. Mizzougrad96

Rex wants to be assured of a TV gig when his act grows tired in New York. I'm in the minority, I like the guy and I think he's a very good coach, but I don't think he lasts more than 2-3 years with the Jets.

I think any team that gives ESPN or HBO that kind of access is a team that we will be hearing very little from in January and February. No shocker that the Dolphins wound up on HBO this year. That team is run by complete idiots.

6. Mizzougrad96

That clip that SportsCenter keeps running where the writers are getting Sanchez and Tebow mixed up is pretty funny... I want someone to say, "Are you the virgin or are you the one who fucks 16-year-olds?"

For ESPN to give a team this kind of coverage they need a coach who is willing to play along and Rex is one of the few who would do that. Teams say no to ESPN very rarely, although it doesn't surprise me at all that Coughlin said no, but ESPN couldn't get enough out of Giants training camp to justify that kind of coverage. Rings or not, Coughlin and Eli just aren't as interesting as Rex and Tebow/Sanchez.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. And this is why SportsCenter has become an absolute joke. The same stories, usually involving an Eastern Seaboard team, beat into the ground night after night. Except after 1 a.m. EDT, when it becomes "SportsCenter from LA" and stories involving teams south of the Grapevine are beat into the ground night after night.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'd rather watch daily footage from the Jets cafeteria than listen to another inane debate about LeBron James.

And what storyline do you suggest they push now that camps have opened. It's Manning and Tebow/New York. That's it.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But Rex Ryan has some entertainment value.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ryan Tannehill /David Garrard?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not sure how riveting that would be. Now David Garrard and Tannehill's wife ...

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does ESPN push Tebow because he guarantees numbers or does Tebow do big numbers because he gets covered all the time?

I think you'll find it's the former. In which case it's a tough spot to be in. Cover someone who draws eyeballs of both his supporters and his detractors, or cover someone the public is much more ambivalent about.

Coming up next: A two-hour special on Joe Flacco!

Zzzzzzzz.

Draft saved Draft deleted