1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about collecting unemployment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Dec 11, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It may depend on the state. In Maryland, they require you to make two job contacts a week and keep a record of those contacts.

As long as you make those two contacts a week AND as long as you're available for full-time work with no restrictions, you can work part-time and still draw unemployment benefits.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Here there's a form you fill out with a record of your job search but so far I haven't been required to fill it out, just check that, yes, I did look for a job. I assume they make you fill out the details after you've been out of work for longer.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Here, you call in every two weeks, certify that you were looking for work, whether or not you had earnings and then you get a check.

If you have a longterm unemployment, you have to put your resume online through their database. You don't have to do that if its a short term layoff because of lack of work.

Another note: they don't issue paper checks here anymore. You either have to get direct deposit or they give you a pay card that works like a debit card.

4. JD

JD Member

I'm in the same situation......I recently did three basketball games a block from my house, and am getting paid $150 for it. This week, I did a game on Thursday, Friday, and will be doing one today (Saturday), for another $150....So that'll be $300 in the two weeks that I will have to report for as of the 14th. I probably not gonna report it, but I'm just wondering....

5. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

On top of it all, why am I reporting something for this week if I am not getting paid for it for another 3 weeks?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Believe most places use the standard of when you "earned" the pay, as in when you actually did the work. Rather than when (if?) you get paid.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

yeah, that is the case here.

Been doing some freelance stuff since being laid off. Can vary widely, from nothing one week to $300-400 the next. I report it the week I earn it, but don't actually get paid until the end of the month. So it cuts into my weekly benefit amount, but the lump sum at the end of the month helps pay the rent.

In Oregon, I am allowed to earn up to 1/3 my weekly benefit amount with no deduction. Anything beyond that, the take a fraction away from that week's benefits. On the one week I earned MORE than my benefit amount, I didn't receive anything from the state.

Now, that money isn't gone. It stays in a pool that i draw from. I have a full year to draw out a certain amount. When that amount is up, I'm done. (Although new legislation allows me to apply for a new "pool" once mine runs dry.) So, by not drawing out as much now, I can stretch the pool of money further. Since job prospects aren't looking very good, that is a good thing.

The reason they don't just give you the entire amount (or whatever you want) at first is because too many people would waste it and then 3 months from now be flat broke and on the street. I DO understand the logic, although it forces me to live very frugally for the time being.

P.S. I can only WISH my benefits were $450 a week. If I was getting that much, I wouldn't be doing any freelance stuff. *sigh*

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I was thinking about this the other day, what if I did not report my freelance wages and all the unemployement office had to do was open up the newspaper to see my name. That is a little scary.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

don't worry, if anyone read the newspaper we wouldn't all be unemployed:)

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, there are always ways to cut corners. Maybe you'll get found out, maybe not. Even if you don't, you use up your money faster by drawing out more immediately. So it's a short term vs. long term issue.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The bigger problem is when do you report the freelance work, when you do it, or when you get paid for it?

You're supposed to report it the week you do it, but this is kind of absurd since a lot of time it takes months to get paid for some freelance gigs.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That was the exact same question I was going to ask.

I always reported it when I received it for that very reason, Mizzou.

Draft saved Draft deleted