1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Birmingham Southern College baseball team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 18, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We had a local kid sign with BSC, but we can't find any info on them from this season. We went to the school's athletics page and even to bigsouthsports.com and got nowhere as well.

The only standings we could find on BSC's site was from last season. Does anyone here cover them and know what's up?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Panic in the streets of London,
    panic in the streets of Birmingham,
    I wonder to myself." [/Morrissey]

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not sure if they suspended the season or not. They were in a transitional year between D1 and D3; some sports were cancelled with players bolting -- like men's basketball -- others, like women's hoops played with what they had.

4. KYSportsWriter

But the 2006 baseball guide says the first year in D1 was 2002....

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm referring to the 2006-07 season.... I dont know that BSC played baseball this year, but they will next year...

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm pretty sure they didn't field a team this year. The kid you are looking for is probably somewhere else now.

7. KYSportsWriter

No. He just signed last week.

8. KYSportsWriter

So they're going from D1 to D3?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

yup

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1177229987264300.xml&coll=2

EDIT: Don't know what sport you're looking for. BSC will field a football team for the first time in school history. Baseball and basketball were formerly DI, but now D3.

10. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

The Birmingham News story above sums it up pretty well in a graf or two. The administration took the athletic program down from D1 to D3, and as mentioned above most of the baseball and men's basketball players hit the bricks so they had to cancel their seasons.

BSC will play baseball (and other sports) beginning next school year in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (http://www.scac-online.org/birminghamtojoin.htm), which includes Centre in Kentucky and 11 other schools from Indiana and Georgia to Texas and Colorado. Gotta be the most far-flung D3 league out there.

The BSC coach is Jan Weisberg, who has Ky. ties. He's a former assistant at Kentucky under Keith Madison and most recently head coach at Transylvania.

EDIT: To add info on coach.

11. KYSportsWriter

Thanks guys. One parent from my alma mater said BSC was D1, but that's what i get for listening to them. We would have written a story on the kid if the school were still D1. Now he just gets his pic in the paper.

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

but he worked just as hard as the kids that signed at a Division I school [/looserfanboyparent]

Draft saved Draft deleted