1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about an angle for a McCain story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Considering the subject, I'd choose obtuse.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Remember for the rest of their lives? They'll remember what, that a candidate came to town for a closed-door fundraiser? BS.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The houses thing is just as relevant as the Brittney-Paris ad, as in Not At All. Like DC said, if you have a chance to ask a question, ask him about an issue that is relevant to your readers, but don't localize it so much that it is unfair to him. Since it is for a fundraiser, I'd focus on how he is viewed by "the base." Since the beginning of his campaign, McCain wasn't seen as the preferred candidate (wasn't conservative enough). Are conservatives coming around to him? Do they now think he has a shot at winning? Would that be good or bad for the GOP? Who do they want for his veep? What is it about McCain's campaign that has brought "the base" on board? Good luck. I'd be interested in seeing the article.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Do the local impact angle. Look at McCain's proposals and how they will impact your community.

Have any recent survey information about your community (i.e. your paper or Survey USA or another org.)? If so, use that to highlight your area's main concerns and what McCain's agenda will do for those concerns.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'd find out if he and the missus have a home in the area. Then let him know.

YD&OHS, etc

6. Well, then the people in my area just have better memories than the people in yours.
    I can tell you all the presidents/presidential candidates who have visited my hometown in the last 50 years (and I'm not yet middle aged) because people remember it and talk about it.
    It's a very big deal.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Phenomenal.

If it's not too late, be sure you throw in some of the logistics of the day, maybe as a sidebar.

"The candidate will arrive by helicopter at the Rathole Regional Airport at approximately X:30 p.m. The motorcade will head straight to the private residence of Mr. Moneybags for an invitation-only fundraiser. The Moneybags residence is located at 123 Main St., so residents should expect traffic to be slow in the area of Main Street between Alpha and Beta streets between Y and Z p.m.

A spokesman for Mr. Moneybags said the guest list is approximately 100 attendees. The meal will be catered by Bob's Big Boy for a cost of $500 per plate. Among the expected attendees is Mr. Richman, chairman of the Rathole County Republican Party.

'I'm looking forward to a nice evening,' Richman said.

The candidate will be coming to Rathole County from a public rally in Upstate County. From the Moneybags' residence the entourage will travel by vehicle to Metro City to spend the night at the Lakeside Inn before a private fundraising breakfast the next morning. He is expected to spend a total of 90 minutes in Rathole County."

8. pallister

pallister Guest

For the sake of your readers, please do not listen to anything posted on this thread. With the exception of what I just typed. :D

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I ended up writing nearly 500 words. I wrote four paragraphs on the events in the area, five paragraphs on McCain's recent non-answer to the "How many houses do you own" question, one paragraph on a planned protest outside the fundraiser and one explaining what the Democrats plan to do at the convention today.

I have learned a few things from this thread. Obama is expected to be in the area next month for a fundraiser. I plan to begin that story with details on the event, then ask an elected official who was an early Obama supporter about his plans to deal with the area's No. 1-federal government related issue, then call the area's top Republican elected official to get his response.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I think you should do a story on how Cindy McCain and her beer distributorship have opposed groups like MADD

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Link? And what does opposed MADD mean?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I oppose MADD, I think they should just shut up.

And I think Mr. X handled it well. You got some news in and also mixed in some national and local interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted