1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Querying SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Jan 23, 2009.

1. godspell

godspell Member

Well, he came to SportsJournalists.com and asked a question. He eventually got his answer. Sounds like he did a good job of using the internet as a resource to find the information he was looking for.

2. godspell

godspell Member

If he has come up with a legitimately unique idea that Sports Illustrated would consider, then he's already kicked your ass.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

We're all rooting for sneed!

(I'm kidding, of course. Nobody cares. Unless he sells the story, in which case everyone will be jealous and really pissed.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That idea's not going to be worth much if he can't follow through with a good story. So I don't think anyone's ass is kicked yet. Not saying he couldn't do it, but let's not get carried away.

But this reminds me of a scene in "Heartbreak Ridge":
    Stitch Jones: Sneed, say something nice to the gentleman.
    Sneed: I'm gonna rip your head off and shit down your neck.
    Marines: Sneed! Sneed! Sneed!

Oh wait. What? It's Swede. Never mind.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You called for Swede?

[​IMG]

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Swede. I mean, Sweet!

7. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Haha dude that's awesome.

Definitely haven't kicked anyone's ass yet. But I feel like I have a pretty darn good idea. (I'd go ahead and post the proposal up here for you all to know what this fuss has been all about if I wasn't paranoid about someone stealing the idea, ha.)

Although if they do happen to accept my proposal I probably will shit myself because 1) yeah, I'll definitely feel like I've won the lottery and 2) I'll have to actually write something for them.

Not that I don't believe in myself as a writer/reporter but jeez, it is Sports Illustrated.

I'll keep ya'll posted. If they don't accept it I'll keep going with it 'til someone runs it, because I feel it'll turn out solid enough for that. I'll definitely let you know.

Thanks again.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Definitely worth a shot, and if SI doesn't bite just keep pushing it at some smaller mags. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

(And it's definitely a good idea to keep the proposal to yourself, or at least to avoid sharing it with people you don't actually know ;D)

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Best wishes to you, Sneed. Good luck. When it comes to hiring staffers, yes, it's SI that coems to you 99% of the time instead of vice versa. They did it with me years back, although I was one of two for the same job and the other guy got it. Broke my heart.

They used to have several short categories of stories, one-pagers, in the front, such as "First Person" or something like that where they actually opened the door for folks to submit stuff, but they phased that stuff out about 15-20 years ago (I lost count). Now, if they do a book review even, nine times out of 10 it's one of their own writers' books. They take care of and promote their own---makes sense in this cutthroat business world, but, still, very much self-serving and therefore the reader doesn't get the full spectrum of good books coming out.

That said, go for it with your own piece. If it's a compelling story, well-researched and well-written, you have a shot. And Chris Hunt is the guy, best I can tell.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

Sneed...I've helped out off and on as a "stringer" for SI in recent years, but they've gone through some changes in their editorial staff and news bureau in past several months and not sure who might be the best contact now. Chris Hunt seems to be your best contact, though, if you wanna pitch him that story idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted