1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Querying SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I have a freelance idea I'd like to pitch to Sports Illustrated. Anyone know the best contact there for such items?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hounds, Release The

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

This will not end well.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is Tex Maule still there?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This thread was a wonderful demonstration of boxing skill and a barbarous display of cruelty.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No one can be helpful?

SI only has 49,039 names on its masthead.

7. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Exactly. Just wondering if anyone here knew who the best one was to contact.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd try the Writers Market books, if those don't help you may just have to pick an editor's name and fire away.

There's a few hundred folks on this site that would love to be published in SI (me included), so you can probably understand why you might not get a direct (good) answer. Journos can be sneaky like that.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Steve Wulf's wife, Jane, used to be chief of reporters there, could be something if that's still the case.

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Hmm....they all want to be published....so they don't help other folks get published....sneaky indeed.

11. You might want to start smaller than SI.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

She's long gone. Richard Demak is in that job now, and he'd be a good person to direct a query to. But keep in mind, Sneed, that with the exception of book excerpts and the occasional piece by a high-profile writer, virtually all of SI's content is staff-produced.

Draft saved Draft deleted