1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Queen Plans New Album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm not sure how I feel about this:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h0W-fsdiFHRE-u8onH4JBs8JKBXA

I mean, I LOVE Queen, and I bought the latest double live disc that features Paul Rodgers, but a new studio album? Hmm.

I'm sorry if this is a D_B

2. First of all, I didn't realize Paul Rodgers had become an official member of Queen.

Secondly, I remember Brian May saying without Freddie Mercury, there would be no Queen.

Thirdly, it appears Paul Rodgers is doing a vague impersonation of Freddie Mercury in that photo.

3. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Chalk up another musical act that can't leave well enough alone.

I'm sorry, but I can't think of anyone other than Freddie Mercury singing lead vocals for that band. Paul Rodgers is an interloper whom the surviving members signed so they could capitalize on their greed to make money off touring with.

He will NEVER replace Freddie Mercury.

4. rube

rube Active Member

You're doubt is right on the money. Queen making anything new without Freddie is like Nirvana regrouping for another run or the Dead giving it another go.
    Great stuff, but Mercury was, is and always will be Queen. They're simply never going to be the same without him.

5. Do Brian May and Roger Taylor really need the money this badly?

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I mentioned it before, I finally watched the Queen DVD of their concert at Wembley Stadium and there NO ONE who entertains like Mercury.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm with you, pal. Queen is nothing without Mercury.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Bubbler Plans To Ignore New Queen Album

Let's not forget. The last 10 years of Queen with Mercury pretty much blew beyond belief.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I wouldn't go that far, Mikey. Brian May is an amazing guitarist.

Still, this -- and the previous tour/live album with Rodgers -- is nothing more than a cash grab.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not saying they're not good musicians, but you take Mercury out of the mix and you don't have Queen. At least that's my opinion. When I think of Queen, I think of Mercury's voice.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm sad for Brian May.

Pathetic.

12. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Hell, I'd be willing to listen to it if it were called Princess Consort. Or some other name.

But I'm with Mike: Queen is synonymous with Freddie Mercury.

Draft saved Draft deleted