1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Queen of Mean ain't mean no mo...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 20, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Helmsley, 87, dies of heart of failure
    Dubbed the 'queen of mean,' she served time for tax evasion

August 20, 2007
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — Leona Helmsley, the hotelier who went to prison as a tax cheat and was reviled as the “queen of mean,” died today at age 87.

Helmsley died of heart failure at her summer home in Greenwich, Conn., said her publicist, Howard Rubenstein.

Already experienced in real estate before her marriage, Helmsley helped her husband run a $5-billion empire that included managing the Empire State Building.

She became a household name in 1989 when she was tried for tax evasion.

The sensational trial included testimony from disgruntled employees who said she terrorized both the menial and the executive help at her homes and hotels.

That image of Helmsley as the “queen of mean” was sealed when a former housekeeper testified that she heard Helmsley say: “We don’t pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070820/NEWS07/70820021

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would have guessed she was already dead.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

she survived on unicorn blood for a while. After she killed the last one, her time was limited.

Oh, andat first I thought this thread was about Rosie O'Donnell

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Isn't Lisa Lampanelli the Queen of Mean?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What jumped out to me in that story is that she has the same publicist as George Steinbrenner.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Me too.

7. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

I saw that
    I saw that too. I wonder if he is the go to guy for new/old New York money ... .

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Yes! I thought this thread was gonna be about her love of the African-American male species.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Ditto

Draft saved Draft deleted