1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quebec town levelled after train derailment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Holy crap.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/06/quebec-train-derailment-fire.html

Looks like several blocks of the town of Lac-Megantic no longer exist after train derails.
    Conductor was not in the train, had it parked and was waiting for his relief when all of a sudden the train that was hauling crude oil took off.

1,000 people in the town of 6,000 evacuated. So far 60 missing. Firefighters are having trouble getting anywhere near the blaze because of the heat

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where was the engineer?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where was Denzel Washington when needed?

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Is the engineer different than the conductor? I know very little about trains. Here's a more in depth story on it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2357352/Breaking-news-Canadian-town-center-wiped-freight-train-carrying-hundreds-tons-crude-oil-derails-explodes.html

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Every story I've seen said he was waiting for someone to take over after his shift.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Sounds like the train magically shifted into autopilot, went out of control and slammed into the town.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Man, a train crash in Quebec and plane crash in San Francisco in the same day. I ain't leaving my house!!

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

And the third shoe to drop is (fill in the blank).

Yikes

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A cruise ship?
    In Nebraska?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Astros won.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Death toll is 5 in Quebec but 40 people missing

Draft saved Draft deleted