1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quebec releases controversial ‘values charter,’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/09/10/quebec-releases-controversial-values-charter-says-anyone-giving-receiving-public-services-needs-face-uncovered/

What an embarrassment.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't see this holding up in court. What they deem 'overt' religious symbols are not equivalent to crucifix necklaces, etc. since these are a requirement for people practicing their religion. The Quebec government is telling these people they cannot practice their religion in Quebec, essentially. There's a huge Jewish community in Montreal - I don't see them sitting still for this.

I'm so glad I no longer live in Quebec.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect they are trying to get rid of the Muslims.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Anyone giving or receiving state services" must leave their face uncovered.

Guess that eliminates any chance of Quebec getting an NHL team again, unless the owner builds the arena himself and doesn't use any state services during the games because they won't be able to have a goalie.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

“Our proposals will be a source of better understanding, harmony and cohesion for all Quebecers, regardless of their religion or origin.”

Unless you are someone of any particular faith.

If this goes through, it makes it easier and easier to never spend another dime in that province again.

6. JR

JR Active Member

I assume you forgot the blue font.

It's about Quebec's attack on non Catholics--Muslims and Sikhs in particular.

Interesting CBC interview last night with a surgeon in Montreal, a Sikh, who was born in Quebec and is completely bilingual.

The law mandates that he will not be able to wear his turban any longer. In the interview he's more sad than angry and there is no way he will ever remove his turban. He says that if the law is passed, the government will force him to leave his province and move to another part of Canada.

But of course the schools and other government institutions will not have to remove the crucifix from their buildings because Catholicism is a backbone of Quebec heritage.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Didn't think I needed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted