1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

que tal nosotros gringo?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"What about us" ?

Watching Obama's speech yesterday made me wonder if the nation's largest minority is feeling like they have been left home from the dance.

Obama might be smart to pick Bill Richardson as his VP running mate.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Now THAT is not a bad idea, Boom.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

My ultra-racist family used to save all of their vitriol for black people. Now, though, they hate Arabs and "Mexicans" too.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Obama did indeed try to be inclusive in his speech yesterday, but there was a rather glaring omission of Hispanics in that, beyond the "brown" reference. However, the exclusion of them by name doesn't mean it's a planned exclusion for the future. Otherwise, how could Obama hope to bring about real change unless it involves everyone.

5. writing irish

I don't think Obama was trying to come up with a definitive analysis and response to racism in general. I think he was focused on the African-American/European-American problem. It's ok to slow down and focus on just that.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

True dat, homey.

7. writing irish

Claro que si, ese.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I reveal my bag full o' fail by being a sixth-generation native Texan but not understanding a lick o' Spanish.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Hard to keep track of who my grandma doesn't like. Last I checked, it was Italians, Irish and "colored people" (I shudder when she says that one).

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe she admires MLK's I have a dream speech.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Unlikely

12. writing irish

I bet you anything your community has a local Spanish scholar who could help you.
    [​IMG]
    Having translated Borges' complete works into English, I think Peggy's currently working on producing an edition of Don Quixote in modern Catalan.

Draft saved Draft deleted