1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quark vs. InDesign

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Sneed, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Throughout college we've used InDesign for our layout and such, so I was wondering how significant the differences were between it and Quark? I see a number of positions that require Quark use experience....are the InDesign skills transferable or is it like starting from scratch to learn Quark?

Thanks.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Some of the tools and hot keys are different, but if you can do InDesign, you can do Quark. It's almost like the InDesign creators tried to make it as much like Quark as possible.

I was originally trained on Quark and had used it for about 12 years before our shop switched over to InDesign. Took about a week to pick it up and about a month to become really good at it.

3. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Thank you for guiding this SportsJournalists.com grasshopper to better threads.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What really sucks is when you use Quark on a PC, suddenly the hotkeys become few and far between. It pisses me off to no end.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I was in your same position coming out of college. You'll be fine. As others have said, it's just a matter of adjusting to the shortcuts. Quark is often older and so many college have Indesign because they have money to spend on newer software, whereas papers don't.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I will say that a lot of the fun things that come easy in InDesign (colored headlines, shadow boxes, filling a head with art, etc) are very different and take many more steps, including having to use Photoshop a lot more.
    If it were up to me (and it never is) I would have always used InDesign, but Quark can turn out some nice pages too.

Draft saved Draft deleted