1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quark 4.1 to Quark 7.2

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by forever_town, Jun 14, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My shop is working toward upgrading our version of Quark from 4.1 to 7.2. In the process, we're all trying to work toward doing everything in System 10 as opposed to toggling between System 9 and System 10 (which I do because I have both on my computer).

For someone who's very familiar with Quark 4, what are the biggest differences I need to know about in Quark 7? How long do you think it'd take to get comfortable in 7?

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

How old is Quark 4.x? We use 6.5 at current stop and 6.1 at the two previous stops.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have not used Quark 7; we upgraded from Quark 4.x to Quark 6.5, I believe, at my old shop. One thing I will say is that you need to be completely out of using OS9. Trying to run Classic and Quark at the same time is a recipe for nights full of crashes, freezes and screaming. There are precious few programs left that won't run in OSX, and if you have any that won't, you need to demand they be upgraded before Quark is messed with.

As far as added functionality from 4.x to 6.x, I'm not sure I really noticed all that much. It just runs a little faster, because you're in OSX rather than OS9. Not sure what they did in version 7, but I do know it's supposed to be their last-ditch effort to avoid being overrun completely by InDesign, so hopefully they'll actually have redesigned it, rather than just tweaking.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Is InDesign more widely used than Quark?

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

We made the switch two years ago. It's definitely the way the trend has been swinging.

6. We upgraded to Quark 6.5. Run far, far away. Thank God we're switching to InDesign soon.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Quark 7 is, once again, a relatively minor face lift. My guess is that most users will find the changes more frustrating than beneficial.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yes, and with good reason. Having now used both, InDesign just makes more sense. If I didn't know anything about pagination software, Quark would be the easier of the two, as far as learning curve to just be able to make a page. For doing more substantive things? InDesign, by far.

Draft saved Draft deleted