1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qualifications needed to work in a college's media relations dept.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Jul 8, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I think it would much easier to be in the field if you are/have been media since you deal with them on a daily basis.

You have a much better idea of what they need and how they do their jobs.

I have at least one of the "criteria" going for me: I'm really good at dealing with people. :)

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Good thread, especially since I've been thinking about making the switch.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A member I respect asked me by PM today to try and create a sub-board on jobs for these positions and to keep the main board for journalism jobs. I told him no way - too many jobs being eliminated in journalism, too many talented people looking *** talented people who can make that kind of switch easily. So I'm going to keep loading up those positions. They are positions that people who frequent our site should pursue if they are interested.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

??? How did you get chocolate on your nose? ???

:D

Seriously ... one of my best friends in the world is the SID of the NAIA school at my last stop. He has the same craptastic schedule I used to have ... except his office hours in the summer are 1030-1300 two days a week and he doesn't have to deal with preps.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Recently applied to a college media relations job, so thanks for the thoughts Moddy.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I ask this only half in jest: Is it possible that, particularly at larger schools, media experience as a plus for a media-relations job might actually not be a plus at all? In other words, knowing what the media want and being able to deliver it is viewed negatively, because your job isn't so much to help the media as to get in its way?

Of course, I suppose you could just tell them that you know what the media want and therefore what not to give them. :D

7. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

If you're looking at an SID job at a smaller school, these are the primary necessities:
    - Writing experience
    - Strong layout/desktop publishing background
    - Basic understanding of HTML and ability to use a content management system to update the web
    - General understanding of statistics from various sports so that you can learn in-game stats programs

In general, at larger schools you'll spend much more of your time working with the media and less on at least one or two of those items listed above. I have a lot of friends who worked as SIDs at large schools that wouldn't have survived at a smaller school (too many sports to cover, limited technical knowledge) and a lot that worked at small schools that would have died at a large school (pressure of dealing with high-profile media, egos of coaches/athletes). The differences aren't that different from working at a large daily vs. a community paper. You've got to find the environment that makes you happy.

8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

"I just filled my opening with the guy who was our intern last year."

There you go.

9. Moderator1

Yep. And he knew NO ONE here when he started as an intern. Came in and did a hell of a job. Earned it.
    From the Midwest, no connections at the school, in the league, nothing.
    If you come across in person as you do on here - and I suspect you do - it is no wonder you are bitter and can't get a job. It shows, trust me on that.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

So basically you're saying: If you didn't or aren't an intern with one now, forget even trying to get a job in this field..

Do I read that right?

11. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Moddy - can you give us an idea of pay for jobs like this ...

I remember talking with a guy who had been at an ACC school for a long time -- he told me he made $25K a year ... That seemed way low to me and maybe he was just pulling my leg ... I'm just curious how it compares to newspaper pay ... and how the hours compare?

Thanks for all the info...

12. Moderator1

The hours are similar - a little less in the summer (I love summer) and a little more in the academic year. Pay varies. It is all over the map. Just like newspapers. That 25 is way low. That much I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted