1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quad-City Times (Illinois/Iowa border) sports and news reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Versatile, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1309542

I know four people who work or recently have worked at the Quad-City Times. It's a good newspaper for its size (60,000), but it's a challenge sports-wise because it covers two Illinois cities (Moline and Rock Island) and two Iowa cities (Davenport and Bettendorf). They've got some nice online preps coverage, though. As I understand it, the Iowa cities are more important sports-wise (in no small part because it's easier to compete for state titles in most sports in Iowa than Illinois).

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Always thought the circulation was a little small given the fact the joint population of the Quad Cities is what, about 350,000? Still, it's a Lee shop, and it is a great paper for the area. And, as the ad points out, you are within decent distance of Des Moines, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Chicago...

Don't know about Tahoe, though. ;)

3. Haneluca

Haneluca New Member

You're guaranteed to cover a lot of state tournaments and D-I caliber athletes with Bettendorf. Plenty of clip-worthy material there.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Iowa City isn't far from there. Do they regularly staff games there?

Got a good friend who grew up in Muscatine, which is square in the Quad Cities coverage area. (He was a Cyclone, appropos of nothing.)

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

They regularly staff football and men's basketball at Iowa, plus the occasional wrestling meet and other sports there. I believe they string out for coverage of Iowa State and Illinois sports.

This is my boyhood paper, and if I were to get back in the business, it's one of the few I would be interested in going to. They have a PGA Tour event every year, (low-level) minor league baseball and hockey, have a pretty high-level road race that draws in the 10,000-15,000 range for participants (and I believe is co-sponsored by the paper), and they staff some good D-I sports and even some pro stuff in Chicago and St. Louis.

There's a ton of stuff to do there throughout the year, and (depending on the area) can be a great place to raise a family.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Without totally outing myself, I know quite a bit about the QCT and a ton about its competitor on the Illinois side of the river. Yes, the Quad-Cities still has two daily papers.

Versatile is right, the focus of the Q-C Times is on the Iowa side, but they regularly cover the large high schools in the Illinois portion of the region, as well as a minor league hockey team in Moline and a Div. III college in Rock Island that's had some national success. Very strong prep B-ball programs on the Illinois side ... a kid from Rock Island H.S. is currently starting, as a true freshman, for a damn good Stanford men's team.

Not sure about the specific duties, salary range, etc. of this position -- and I'm particularly intrigued by the "news-sports combo" aspect of it. But if you want info about the region or how the various newspapers cover it, feel free to PM me.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Beautiful view from the Mark (or whatever it's called now). Alongside the Mississippi River. Once you pass over the bridge on the right in Davenport is a roach motel and a breakfast joint. The breakfast joint is super food. Recommended.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I could go for a big-ass Volcano from that place about now.

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

You better top that Volcano with snow.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Is Don Doxsie still the SE? I enjoyed freelancing for him a few years back, good guy with a good staff.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, Dox is still the SE, and still does his share of reporting. And you're dead on about their sports staff -- good people.

And after reading the comments about Ross's Restaurant, I had to find a picture:

[​IMG]

This pile of deliciousness isn't just for journalists or drunks, either.

Here's someone getting a Magic Mountain to go during a recent trip to the Quad-Cities:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

This place looks like a dump from the outside.

Are they still open only 22 hours? 6a-4a? Always found that a bit odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted