1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qdoba, Moe's or Chipotle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Dec 28, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes. Yes, it is. ;D

But I also had a strong recommendation from the North Dakotan, so I woulda made it there eventually.

Helluva burrito, though. Fuck, those things are big. And cheap as hell.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think all three of them suck. Moe's made me thirsty for about 10 hours one time.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

God, I miss Rosa Maria's. And Mexico Lindo (check it out if you haven't already Buck).

That said, in order: Chipotle, Moe's, Qdoba, though we have Illegal Pete's out here that is better than all three.

Here's a piece on the founder of Chipotle.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_business/article/0,2777,DRMN_23916_5233690,00.html

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Although the absolute *best* burrito I have ever enjoyed came from Burrito Brothers in Gainesville, of the chains ... GOTTA be Qdoba. The Q-card is money (literally, as 10 burritos earns ya a free one!), and I concur on their chips/cheese.

rb

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Food snob here! Mexican is my second-favorite ethnic cuisine after Italian, but there are few things worse than bad Mexican food, and the farther you get from Mexico, the worse it will be. Although I sometimes will deign to eat at Baja Fresh, generally I'd rather just skip it if I can't have the real thing. Once while visiting a northern city I saw a local metro's glowing review of a local Mexican restaurant taped on the window. "Authentic," it said. Perhaps the reviewer had a case of Montezuma's revenge and decided that must mean the place is authentic, for I found nothing authentic and wound up being ill from the other end. Chains are chains, and it doesn't matter what the nationality of the workers may be because they must conform to corporate dictates like any Gannettoid does on a newspaper. Even Baja Fresh is to Mexican what Olive Garden is to Italian or Subway is to deli or Red Lobster is to seafood. It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel bland.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Put me down for

1. Qdoba
    2. Chipotle
    3. Baja Fresh

and I've never even heard of Moe's.

Thankfully I live in the Southwest and have about 10 real Mexican restaurants nearby that blow all of those away.

And for those freaked out that McDonald's owned Chipotle... Jack in the Box owns Qdoba, and Wendy's owns Baja Fresh. McD's divested from Chipotle a couple of months ago.

7. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Taco Cabana hit the spot?

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

www.burritophile.com

You are welcome.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I've got lotsa gift-card money for Qdoba waiting to destroy my New Year's resolution to diet. ;D

Cougargirl introduced me to Chipotle many years ago. I appreciate the hormone-free meat and healthier choices, but still think it's too spicy. The Boy really likes it though. I'll have to ask which he prefers.

However, I concur with everyone who voted for local non-chains over either one.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I do NOT understand the great love for TC here in Austin. You've got about a jillion excellent Mexican food choices, and people get amped up for Taco Cabana like it's some kind of manna from Mexican heaven.

I'll take Polvo's on South First any day of the week.

11. KP

KP Active Member

When did this guy start serving burritos?

[​IMG]

12. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

or curra's grill perhaps?

Draft saved Draft deleted