1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qdoba, Moe's or Chipotle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Pretty much the point I was about to make. Think of them as NAFTA burritos or Mexican-inspired wraps or whatever. For the most part, they're still decent-quality foodstuffs, even if they're made by a bunch of teenaged suburbanites and not crotchety old Mexicans.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

WARNING!

[​IMG]

Do not be alarmed.

Just give the food snobs what they want, then make fun of them after they leave.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As far as chains go: On the Border.

But living down here, as someone else pointed out, means never having to settle for bad Mexican.

We've got a place in town that's barely a hole in the wall. Almost feels like you need your passport when you walk through the door. That's the best kind of place for Mexican food.

With that said one of the best Mexican meals I've ever eaten was in Provo, Utah during the '02 Olympics.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'll admit it: I'm a Mexican food snob. A burrito snob. A chile snob.

At least I look down upon corporate-owned food chains and not, you know, people.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Now that we are no longer talking about chains, the best burritos I have ever eaten came from a lady who used to walk around a school I used to work at and sell them office to office. They were $1 each and weren't overly large (3 did the trick for lunch) but they were truly outstanding.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

OK, I'll stop being an I *heart* Austin" food snob. I'm not a fan of Moe's, and have been refusing to visit Chipotle b/c I thought McD's owned them. There's one on the drag, so I'll go there in the next couple of weeks and try it out.

Fair enough, IJAG? ;)

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hahahah that wasn't the point! You don't have to eat the stuff listed here.

But I just thought it was an unfair standard to compare fast-food burrito places and their conveyor-belt process of making them to an actual, sit-down, real Mexican place. They each serve their purpose and comparing them is a winless proposition for Q, Moe's or Chipotle.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh, and because of this thread I will be eating a burrito tonight. I think I shall take the long and winding road to Baja Fresh and get that big honking burrito of theirs so I can have lunch tomorrow. It's big enough for two people, but ... well, you can figure it out :'(

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wonder how the Mexicans who work at my local Chipotle would feel about a bunch of white people calling them not authentic.

That is all.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Chipotle's Mexican employees (I'd estimate around 80 percent of the work force at all the locations I've gotten burritos) can't find the food too bad since they eat it three times per shift.

11. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

But, then again, free food is rarely bad enough not to eat.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Good thing I took you there, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted