1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qdoba, Moe's or Chipotle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

baja fresh has the best of the semi-fast food mexi places, but chipotle is the best overall.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

1. Moes
    2. Chipolte
    3. Baja

Never have had the other one.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not a fan of either.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

All very interesting responses. The 3 Baja Fresh's that were here all closed. I thought they were okay and definitely had the most menu choices. Also had very authentic employees.

5. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Bleh, all three are gross. I will never understand the hype over Chipotle. Baja Fresh is passable.
    The best quasi-authentic burrito comes from Freebirds in Santa Barbara, CA, but nothing will beat REAL, non-chain Mexican food.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If I only had the luxury of being near REAL mexican food again. That's what I get for leaving the West.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I ranked these in another thread, but here you go.

1. Baja Fresh. Get the Burrito Dos Manos enchilada style. It's enough for two meals even for my fat ass. They also have Pepsi, whereas everyone else has Coke. And they also have a good chicken chipotle tossed salad with pineapple and corn and avocado and those flauta things. Haven't gone wrong there yet.

2. Qdoba. Gets a slight edge over Moe's for the No. 2 seed because they have more specialty burritos. I'm a fan of the chicken queso burrito with corn-chile salsa myself. No free chips is a bummer, though.

3. Moe's. Inoffensive; they don't really offer anything that you can't get elsewhere, but it usually fills you up. I do like their queso, though, and you get a thing of chips with your burrito, which Qdoba and Chipotle does not offer gratis.

4. Salsarita's. Extra credit for offering shrimp in their tacos/burritos/quesadillas, as well as the flavored sour cream, but they really manage to fuck up the chips by overseasoning to ridiculous extremes.

5. Chipotle.
    Surprised at the reviews it's getting here, because I've been pretty disappointed the times I've been. The rice is too sticky and sweet, almost a jasmine-like rice that doesn't go well with burrito eating. Decent corn salsa, and there's more of them here than the other chains, so occasionally I'll go there in a pinch. But I'd rather be at Baja Fresh. Also: Drop a card in their bowl; I won a burrito lunch for 10 a week after doing so.

6. California Tortilla. Serious letdown. About the only thing I can point out in their favor is the myriad of sauces like Ass in Antartica and Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce and about 200 others that you'll see at your Le Gourmet Chefs and the like. But their burritos don't live up to their billing (the Jamaican jerk burrito was more punchless than a bad Family Guy episode), and the queso is store-brand quality.

Bonus observation -- Habanero. A independent restaurant in the Clifton section of Cincinnati, a city I've been to twice in my life. Ate there both times. This was my introduction to the massive burrito concept in 2000. Both times got the same thing, a monstrous chicken burrito with black beans and, for 50 well-earned cents extra, an etherial green apple/green chile salsa that hasn't been touched. Came with the best chips I've had by a factor of seven.

EDIT: And don't forget to drop a lime slice or two in your cola at any of these places.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Qdoba kicks ass, although I had to eliminate burritos from the diet.

Did make an exception at Xmas, though.

10. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

I've never had Qdoba, but Chipotle beats the rice out of Moe's.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm sorry, but a burrito from a place named after every senior class song since 1974 in a yuppie coastal city doesn't count as "real" Mexican food.

Find me a half-condemned shack in El Paso with no place to sit but a line out the door, where they don't accept checks and the refritos are still cooked with a scoop of lard.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The best semi-fast food burritos I've had lately come from a place called Taco del Sol in Missoula, Mont. No checks accepted, and everything is fried in lard. Actually, I would willing kill for one if the bean burrito cost more than $2.50.

Draft saved Draft deleted