1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 3, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion: Don't pay $3,500+ that you don't even have for the privilege of having a "job" that treats you like a slave at best and kills you at worst.

2. Yeah, believe it or not, desperate people do desperate things to try to improve their lot and support their families. Happens in the U.S., too, with migrants having to pay off their border transport for the year that they work here.

A little compassion never hurts.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We're going to blame the desperate workers, instead of the wealth nation exploiting them? Really?

About 1,200 died in the Bangladesh clothing factory collapse. They're talking about 4,000 in Qatar.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I assume you own no clothes made in a third-world country, that you do business with no companies outsourcing work to third-world countries, that, in effect, you've gone ahead and pulled that log out of your own eye before pointing out the speck in Qatar's.

It's telling that you're more interested in pointing the finger at Qatar than you are at pointing the finger at the crippling poverty to which we all contribute and from which we all benefit.

5. YankeeFan

LOL.

4,000 die so we can have a soccer tournament in a desert nation, ruled by a billionaire family.

I think I'm pretty comfortable saying this is wrong, irrespective of anything else going on in the world.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You are, once again, arguing against a point that no one is making. There's pretty much not a soccer fan in the world who doesn't think it was a bad idea to give Qatar the World Cup.

I'm just not sure why you keep belaboring the point. I'm just not sure what you want anyone to say. Yes, it's terrible. But what does my saying that accomplish? What am I supposed to do, never watch a soccer match again?

I mean, I get what you're doing, and I shouldn't be stupid enough to rise to your bait. But here we are.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bottom line: the whole thing was a stupid idea by a small number of very greedy people.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

We are not allowed to discuss the government shutdown here.

9. YankeeFan

Yes, folks are saying it's a "bad idea" to play the World Cup in Qatar because it will be uncomfortably for the players and fans, and/or because the proposed change in schedule will be problematic for European leagues and for television partners.

That's all true, and they are fine reasons not to hold the World Cup in Qatar.

But, they pale in comparison to the human right issues.

It's not a "bad decision" it's a deadly decision.

4,000 people will die to build these stadiums.

And, while FIFA might be a tone deaf, autocratic organization that listens only to money, they are not immune to pressure.

Individual nations, soccer federations, sponsors, and broadcast partners need to tell FIFA that this is unacceptable. Qatar 2022 needs to be called off, and ssigned to another country, and it needs to happen fast.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I was referring to FIFA. But, yes, the shoe does fit.

11. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/25/5750034/qatar-hands-out-fliers-with-national-dress-code-for-foreigners

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Maybe this will end up the way it did when the Taliban ran Afghanistan ... with players being arrested on the field for dressing immodestly.

Draft saved Draft deleted