1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They have soccer matches in Brazil all the time. The government's grandiose plan to build lots of new stadiums might fall apart, but they'll find places to hold matches.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Eh, not really. Here are pictures of an arena in Germany that has a slide-out pitch. It's outside when matches aren't being played, and then is slid back into the stadium when needed. There are several stadiums like this one, including the University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/germany/nordrhein_westfalen/gelsenkirchen_schalke.shtml

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For a summer World Cup, the US can host on a couple of months notice.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless there are videos of Qatar soccer fans beheading a referee and putting the head on a stick, I'd be a little more worried about the upcoming World Cup.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I bet Fox is just giddy about the prospects of a winter World Cup, especially in January/February. I hear there are some important NFL games that happen around that time.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

They already did have an indoor World Cup game, 20 years ago.
    Michigan State's ag department grew and maintained a field inside the Pontiac Silverdome.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, it won't be February because the IOC has told FIFA it's watching very closely and the World Cup better not go against the Winter Olympics in February 2022.

If it's January and goes up against the NFL and Fox is worried, we're talking, what, one Saturday and three Sundays? And even then, Qatar is eight hours ahead of the East Coast in the winter, so would there really be a huge conflict with the NFL?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which is why I said extremely difficult, not impossible.

Point remains, a series of domes doesn't solve everything. Among other things, you need training facilities for 32 teams.

It would be nice if FIFA would consider the effects that a winter World Cup would have on leagues beyond the Premier Leagues and La Ligas of the world, but I don't expect that to happen.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Summer night temperatures in Qatar are an acceptable 84 degrees. There are what, two games a day at most? Play 'em at night. Problem solved.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Only reason why we're doing this.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As interesting as the temperature, and the potential schedule change are, I can't believe folks are focusing on that instead of the dying workers.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I don't understand what the big deal is. They played a friendly there yesterday and it looked great.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted