1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 3, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Will Qatar actually host the World Cup in 2012?

So far, FIFA appears to be full steam ahead with its plan, including holding a vote to move the timing. But, the idea is absurd on so many levels.

When do various countries start to demand it be moved? How many people need to die?

Couple of articles:

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-03/qatar-s-world-cup-fiasco.html

Jeff MacGregor : http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9753901/human-rights-concerns-raised-qatar-world-cup

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Whoever thought this was a good idea is insane. Might as well hold the Winter Olympics in Costa Rica.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If they went back in time and hosted in 2012 (when there wasn't even a World Cup), that really WOULD be something. ;)

And please, let's not make this about human rights. If that was an issue, Russia and China should never host an international event, either.

It's just too God damn hot there.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If the checks clear, it'll be in Qatar. And lord knows the checks should clear.

Never, ever count on FIFA to do the right thing.

5. PressRowsNotSafe

PressRowsNotSafe New Member

I'm sure Brazil must be LOVING this. Russia's anti-homosexuality stance and Qatar's issues are taking away from the nearest disaster for a World Cup host site. But hey, when you have 4.5 million requests for tickets, what's it matter?

Qatar has more issues, though. I'm 27, and I want to go to a World Cup before I'm too old not to enjoy it with some buddies. I'd love for it to be somewhere that I consider safe to travel as an American. How's Russia looking, folks? If Qatar is moved to winter, that makes a lot of sense, but there's going to be a helluva lot of tug-of-war behavior going on with the England FA and other countries who feel it'll be a hindrance to the world's biggest leagues like the BPL.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I figure it's a moot point. By 2022 there is going to be so much bloodshed, particularly in that corner of the world, that sports will seem of little consequence.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they have to build all these new stadiums in Qatar anyway, and they have more money than God, can't they just build domes?

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If FIFA does try to push through moving it to winter, that might blow up international soccer as we know it. If push comes to shove and the big leagues join forces, FIFA is no longer the boss of soccer.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

World Cups have to be played on grass, and for all the world's technological advances, producing a grass pitch of anything like an international standard under a roof is still extremely difficult.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

They can't play it in the summer and the bribes were and are too good to have it moved to another country.

The big domestic leagues can't run with the top players gone, so I think you're going to get earlier starts and later finishes to the big Euro leagues with probably a six week winter break.

Fox will be upset, because TV rights are probably worth less given the competition with NFL and possibly college football.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

2022 is a long time from now. FIFA is betting on stability in a region not known for it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone think it's possible that Brazil gets pulled off without something major happening?

Honestly, I would be more worried about Brazil than I would Qatar.

Draft saved Draft deleted