1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q: Why is freedom of the press so important?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A: Because we can sell ads!

[​IMG]

Caught the ad on a newspaper's Web site.

I realize the importance of advertising, but isn't this taking the message a bit too far?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yikes. Clever? Yes. Going too far? Abso-freakin-lutely. Nothing like getting pithy with one of the founding principles of not only your country, but your entire industry, the one that establishes journalism, essentially, as part of the system of checks and balances of our government.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I debated whether I should put this on the journalism only side, but thought it merited cross-over status.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

pretty much sums up the attitude of most sales reps I know.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Death to the ad department!

6. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

I saw a print version of this ad in my paper recently. I gotta say, I was genuinely offended that they would insult what we do like that.

As sad as it is, I realize that most of the general public doesn't understand the true importance of "freedom of the press". But is it too much to ask that the people in our own building "get it"?

Draft saved Draft deleted