1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q&A with Yahoo! Sports Dan Wetzel on LeBron, Cleveland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TMitrosilis, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Milk steaming hoses? You mean like a steam wand? There's no great secret to cleaning one of those. The key is to just wipe it down right after steaming, otherwise the milk will stick to it.

And, I'm happy to expound on my thoughts, but Boom pretty much nailed it.

You're a good and funny poster and a talented writer. But I've never seen anyone, anywhere mention time after time that they're friends with someone (or a group of people).

We get it. You're friends with Jones, Pierce, MacGregor, etc.

But your need to point it out all the time points to some sort of insecurity.

When you come to their defense at the first sign of even mild criticism, you do come across as a groomsman as opposed to one of the club.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not commenting on the debate, but that's a great line.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And thus ends another helpful thread from Biff Tannen's Writing-For-Life Workshop. Join us next week when the faculty presents "Freytag's Triangle: Essential To Symmetrical Narrative Architecture - or Sissy Crutch For Effeminate Douchebags?"

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not sure I've seen a newbie post something that goes so haywire so quickly due to no fault of said newbie.

Anyway, I enjoyed your interview.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

See, there you go! At least there are some real barbs in there as opposed to back slapping someone who did all the heavy lifting. With one post, you just drafted past dooley in the rankings of "People Feuding With Me Who Actually Have Something To Say."

Now, in response, that's a little rich coming from someone who has named-checked Joe Girardi (among other Yankees) repeatedly to tell us what swell guys they really are, every time criticism of them comes up. But your free psychoanalysis is gratefully noted. If it makes people feel better about their repeated digs at the work of certain writers to think I never get invited up in the treehouse, that all I do is guard the ladder, that's fine. Whatever fantasies entertain you as you drive to another service call at a Seattle's Best Coffee franchise, the better.

But it ain't me who is obsessed with certain people writers.

TigerVols is right, btw. Poor Teddy must be looking at this thread in horror, wondering if he really wants to get into this business. But if you're out there Teddy, don't worry. Half the people on this site are just remoras, clinging on to journalism to cure the boredom of their days.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LeBron FTW!!!!

(No dog in this fight either. But that last comment does sound like The King.)

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not getting in the middle of the debate either, but I am consistently amazed here at the insta-memory for what others posted years ago. I can't remember what I posted Monday -- or ate on Sunday or wore yesterday, for that matter.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now you are starting to sound like Lebron James. DD deep down I guess I love you too like an internet buddy. No doubt if we are to ever meet over a few beers we would have a hell of time.

But man oh man, I just wish that you would stop playing the Beaver role to Wally, Eddy and Lumpy. You are very talented, funny and engaging. Certainly noble to want to support your friends, but there are times ... oh well . I'll stop there.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe that'll be my goal someday. Get the two of you together in a bar. Chances are that by the end the only disagreement left will be in our pissed off livers.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Here's the one thing funny. I read the piece (good piece) and decided to scroll down to see if somebody would link to the Wetzel piece. Saw bickering, bickering, one-liners ... no link.

So here ya go if you haven't read it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-wetzel_cleveland_laughs_at_lebron_james_061211

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think the post by Teddy is fine and an interesting reading.

But I also see Dooley's point that we don't want a long string of people posting their own work on the Journalism Topics Only board, snark aside.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'd welcome the work of anybody who's doing commentary on my profession. This isn't sports journalism, it's journalism on sports journalism, which is completely apropos to this sight.

I say this: If you have something published that provides commentary on our industry, not only is it OK for you to post it here, I say PLEASE do post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.