1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q&A with author/journalist Steve Marantz

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by JArice, Jul 8, 2013.

1. JArice

JArice New Member

Below is a link to a Boston.com Q&A I recently did with Steve Marantz about his new book: Next Up at Fenway: A Story of High School, Hope and Lindos Suenos.

Marantz, who currently works for ESPN E:60 and is a former Boston Globe and Herald reporter, has some great insight about writing long form narrative about high school athletics.

(Full disclosure: Marantz asked me to review an early draft of the book.)

Enjoy:

http://www.boston.com/schools/extras/bps_sports/2013/04/marantz_talks_about_new_book_next_up_at_fenway_a_story_of_high_school_hope_and_lindos_suenos.html

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

The questions were okay -- except the first one. If the author asked you to review the book and it's already been published, then you should know what the story's about and the onus is on you to summarize it in the intro. It's also weak for the author to read you the back of the dust jacket. You should have edited that part out. Then again, you've kind of told him at the outset that you haven't read the book -- which is not a great way to start.

Also, I just noticed that the whole interview was via email. The author is a former Globe reporter, you work for the Globe, and he wouldn't even give you a phone interview? Something's wrong with that picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted