1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q&A / CARL HIAASEN: 'I don't think writers are cut out to be golfers'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michelle Hiskey, May 12, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Golf was on in the background this weekend while my wife and I ate dinner, and she asked me to explain the scoring.

I said par can be three, four or five times to hit the ball before in goes into the cup. The people that design the course expect you to make that score they assign when you play the hole.

If you can get the ball into the cup in one fewer stroke than is expected, then it is a birdie. One more stroke than they expect is a bogey.

So par is average, and most people are nowhere near average.

Then I thought that in their best rounds, most golfers cannot make par on more than nine holes.

What a self-defeating game, but it is still great.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When Emerson said "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" he sure as hell wasn't talking about golf.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And if there's 120 guys in the field, there's 120 different stories to tell. Not that people always write about the guy who finishes 38th, but one could. I always enjoyed that aspect of a golf tournament more than, say, an NFL game where sometimes there's only a couple of story lines.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And you are always putting for money on the 72nd hole.

One of the final guys doubled 18 last weekend, and I told my wife that just cost him a pile of money.

Draft saved Draft deleted