1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pyrrhic victory

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 24, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just couldn't resist the urge to say it.

Really, I read the copy.

Most of it.

And I already had the helmets saved.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

hey, if my mother can say it that way, so can I

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Im not sure thats where soused writer was going, E9

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you ever want to start a fight, describe someone as being "niggardly"
    Words are fun.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I used to argue with an NFL writer who wanted to throw 10-cent words into every story. He said, "We should send them to the dictionary at least once."

Right, I said. Everybody goes to the dictionary.

That said, I think these kinds of words and phrases have limited value IF the context they're used in and the subsequent writing explains what you're talking about without them actually have to know the meaning coming in, if that makes sense.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They can make a grown man snigger, yes.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Best to mix classical allusions and metaphors together so as to confuse/alienate reader. With helmets:

HERCULEAN TASK
    Colts slay Chowder-breathed Cyclops; Indy to face Hydra-headed Chicago defense as Manning's Sisyphean struggle to steal the Hesperedian Super Bowl Apple continues
    Peyton: 'Rex sucks Minotaur cock and Chicago stinks worse than the Augean stables. If I beat those navy-tuniced Ganymedes, I'll be getting more pussy than Dionysus at a Saturnalia, byotches!'
    [​IMG]

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

irish, that's good work outta you.

9. writing irish

Thanks. I was far too productive this morning at my job, so I decided to do penance by pissing away five minutes on that. :)

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Five minutes? That looked like it took at least six.

You, good sir, are a model of design efficiency. Though I am docking points for the lack of a cutout.

11. writing irish

I was going to take an actual photo of Manning sucking Minotaur cock, Photoshop Grossman's face onto it and then do a cut-out, but it would have taken too long.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that was Eli anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted