1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pyrrhic victory

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Without googling, do you know what it is? Would you ever allow it to run in the lead of one of your reporters' stories? Or would you say that your readers probably aren't smart enough to know what it is, and edit it out?

2. yes
    no

3. What he said. On both counts.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I hate thinking that our readers aren't smart enough to know what it means.

Then I answer their phone calls.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Why?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

yes
    maybe

7. yeah, because I know our readers

i don't want them to have to work to read a story. I don't want them to feel like a writer is talking down to them.

8. I'm of the opinion that if you're asking yourself if it will be over your readers' heads, you've already answered your own question. I once used onomatopoeia in a lede, correctly, but still regretted it.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'd allow it, as long as it was capitalized.

It bothers me that editors would "dumb" down a reference because they don't think their readers are smart enough, or perhaps a better term, informed enough, to know what it is.
    Perhaps they will go to their dictionary and learn something.
    Or better yet, the writer is skilled enough to let the reader know what a Pyrrhic victory without reprinting a definition.

Its attitudes like those posted here that condemns the country to American Idol, Deal or No Deal and George Dubya

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm all for using words that read beyond the 6th grade level, but I'll admit I don't know what it means. And believe me, I fully support those who "teach to the top of the class" per se.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

its a victory that comes at such a cost that it is practically a defeat

Should Bush win in Iraq, it will be a Pyrrhic victory

12. that's quite a leap.

no, you have to know your readers. we want people to read the paper, not toss it in the trash because they don't know what the hell some guy's lead is about

Draft saved Draft deleted