1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting off the trip to the great big meatgrinder in the sky

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 12, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, I'd suggest a few things about car buying that I learned in recent days. First, take lots of time to browse through what is available. Some of the old standards are no more, and some of the new models are names that won't be familiar to you.

Secondly, once you think you know what you want to buy, go to Edmunds.com (thanks to those who suggested this). They will give you an average sale price so that you'll know whether you're getting a good deal.

Then, via an online form, request a quote from the nearest three or four dealers who offer the car you like. Some will try to avoid the question by saying that they have different options. Don't let them do that. Just tell them to give you a quote for whatever model on the lot they think you would like, regardless of color.

My experience was that one of three gave me an actual quote, and it was $750 under the invoice price. So I took that as a good deal. The best part was that I didn't have to negotiate anything. You have them by the balls because they don't know who you are or how to contact other than through an e-mail address. If they want you on the lot, they'll have to give you a good price.

But that can wait. For now, try to take care of that road rash. I must say that my worst injury was a partially detached retina from being blasted with a small rock that a friend batted with a whiffle ball bat. I also broke a finger in the third grade when I punched a guy in the nose over a girl. I can't imagine any injury worse than that, but I'd probably cry like a little baby.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that you wore your seatbelt. I don't want you to be any more spooked than you are now, but there's a good chance that you wouldn't be alive without that seatbelt. That and the air bags save a lot of lives.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wow, MM, good to hear you're alright. In my town, the local rag runs an accident photo on A1 every week, come hell or high water. It's like a lottery to see who's next.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Glad to hear you came out of it with just hamburger arm, Meat.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. See if Webby will let you change your handle to Oozing Scab for a couple weeks.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn. glad you're ok, buddy. hang in there.

i'll admit that i don't speak from experience but it seems to me that the fool who hit you is gonna get his. you've got your own problems to worry about without being vengeful. karma will take care of him. just my two cents.

6. Shortly before I got married in 1984, my fiancee and I got spun in our Chevette - I know, I know -- by a blue minivan that took off. Three revolutions, and we hit a according to the accident cops, and we hit a stone wall with our trunk. Another half-turn and I'm a dead FB.
    You don't walk away even from the ones you walk away from.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And a couple weeks after that, Festering Pustule...

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Meat-

I can relate all too well. Last November I rolled my truck...went off a gravelly dirt road and rolled once...truck landed on its tires. If I'd rolled to the left instead of the right, I'd have been toast. Even rolling to the passenger side, the cab was a mess. I could have died or been seriously injured, easily. As it was, I got a 12-stitch cut on my face, but nothing else...no back injury, even. Fucked my mind over for a few weeks, however. I feel mostly over it now, but in retrospect, I wish I'd gotten some counseling during the first couple of months afterward. Even a few sessions would have helped. I felt disconnected and depressed for about six weeks afterward. May want to do whatever it is you normally do to shore up your mental well-being...could save you some trouble.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Funny you mention that. I was in a minor car accident as a passenger my junior year of high school. Bumps and bruises, no big shakes, but as time went on I got so spooked by the prospect of driving that I didn't get my license until I was 22. I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time, but I have the personality that it's certainly possible. Good advice.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I hope the healing process is quick for you.

On an amusing note (if it is possible to be amusing with a topic like this), the ad inserted under your original post was for Freeze It, Muscle, Joint & Pain Relief. I saw that and had to chuckle.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

First, get well soon.
    Things to do and expect (From my previous experience with a drunk driver)
    Get a copy of the accident report as soon as you can. Take photos of the damage to your car and any injuries received.
    Have a lawyer buddy write a letter to the other driver's insurance carrier.
    Depending on the policy, the driver will have $25k, $50k or $100k as a reserve to keep this from going to court. If the other driver was at fault, you'll get some of that cash, plus the value of your car, that also includes things like the tires, stereo system, etc. That's why the pictures will help with that and in the case it does go to court, you'll have what they call evidence.
    In my case, the car was totaled and then turned into a metal cube at the junkyard. The insurance company tried to say they had no way of determing the actual damage to my car. My lawyer buddy pulled out the photos I had taken before the car was smashed and my big gaping head wound and said something along the lines of, "I'd hate to see these in court."
    He left with a check.
    Your health insurance will likely deny the claim saying that the funds you received should be applied to the medical bill. If they do that refile and have your lawyer buddy send another letter to the insurance company.
    In my case, Blue Cross were total dicks about it, but the lawyer letter will help.
    Depending on your policy, you should also receive funds from your car insurance carrier and they may also pay the medical bills. You should also be able to get a loaner or rental, but that depends on your policy.
    When someone asks you if you were dropped on your head as a child say no, but I was dropped on my head recently.
    Totally get some painkillers, wrap your arm, maybe get some crutches and head to the bar.
    When people ask, say you were in wreck and get free sympathy drinks.
    When the hot bartender chick asks what you are taking for the pain, tell her and then exchange them for sexual favors. You'd be surprised what some girls will do for some vicodin.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Glad you're okay MM. Sorry about the Jeep.

While I normally rail against the litigious nature of our society, in this case I'm all for victims getting paid and paid well. Make the Lexus driver suffer.

Draft saved Draft deleted