1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting off the trip to the great big meatgrinder in the sky

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 12, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

MM- glad to hear you're ok.. hopefully the doctors gave you some industrial-strength pain killers to help with the road rash and soreness.

I also hope they catch the driver of the Lexus (if they haven't caught him already) and that everything goes smoothly with your insurance company.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Sounds like one hell of a ride.
    Glad your OK.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Echo everyone's statements ... hope you get better and glad to hear you're AOK.

As my mamma always said, "We can always replace the car, we just cannot replace you."

:)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Glad you're OK, dude... better to be mystery meat than chopped meat...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cat scan reference + MM's sig photo = Leinie's + screen.

Glad you're OK.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!! Er, I mean, glad to hear you're ok, MM.

7. Hit by a Lexus that ran a stop sign?

OHHH my back!
    Ohh my neck!
    Ohhh, my back and my neck!!!

Three words man ... Soft. Tissue. Damage.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm doing surprisingly okay now. They checked me out of the hospital around 1 this morning, just told me to clean it daily and put bactine on it, and take Advil or Tylenol for the muscle aches. Right now the left arm is the only source of soreness, though that could change. Right arm feels like a sunburn to the fifth power. I already got to freak out a 7-11 cashier on the way home when my cabdriver stopped to get something to drink.

They hit the guy with a reckless driving charge. I think he was banged up a little and they brought him to the hospital too. I didn't even get a look at my car, much less his, but he wasn't getting away. I've got a copy of the traffic indicent report from one of the police officers, and there's at least two eyewitnesses that saw the whole thing unfold.

I'm hoping insurance will be fairly slam dunk; a cop and an EMT both told me it was almost certainly totalled, though it held together pretty well, which is part of the reason I'm typing this instead of lying in a hospital bed. A complicating factor is I was involved in a fender-bender at work the other week, and she was trying to see if she could get it taken care of without involving insurance.

It sucks from a debt load perspective; I was really counting on being able to watch my truck payment go off the books next April. I don't know what the value of the truck is, but I'll check it now. At least I'll have enough to pay off the rest of the loan and have a little left over for the down payment on my next car. Not sure whether I'd get another Jeep or not; it held together well, but I wonder if it's more prone to tipping over, and that maybe another car wouldn't have landed like that at all. But if navigating debt and a ripped up right forearm is the worst thing to come out of this ordeal, well, I'll take it.

I'd post a picture of my arm, but it's kinda icky and somewhat NSFW.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Please don't.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

MM, no one on this board is allowed to check out without a moderator's permission. I'm glad you caught a break and survived as intact as you did.

This is a reminder to all of us, but for you it's a reality you lived through and are working through. Best wishes for a full recovery and the best of outcomes with all the logistical and financial stuff. Hang in there, and when you need to stop by and waste time with the rest of us, the door is always open.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck, Mystery. Glad you are OK and in one piece -- even if it's a scabby piece.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh, and I most certainly wore my seatbelt. One of the observers cut it off of me because Iwas hanging upside down and I thought maybe if I got it off, I could get out on my own power, but the way the truck was positioned and the way I was positioned, that wasn't going to happen. But I would have been in deep shit without it (oddly enough, the airbags didn't deploy, but it wasn't a head on [apply directly to the forehead] collision, so I guess it wasn't necessary.

Moral of the story: wear your seatbelt, assholes!

Draft saved Draft deleted