1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting off the trip to the great big meatgrinder in the sky

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But not by a lot.

Driving to a high school game in a light drizzle. Lexus blows through a stop sign off a side street and heads right for me. I have time only to switch to the left lane before the impact, which sent my Jeep sliding on the side of the road and then on its roof, where after about 100 feet I came to a stop.

I got out of the hospital about an hour ago. No broken bones, no internal bleeding. Just a wicked as shit road rash on my right forearm and a little on the top of my head. I think that may have come from the sunroof, but I'm not really sure.

The rash hurts now, and it'll hurt worse soon. My left arm is going to be pretty sore too, and so will my neck and shoulders.

And I thank God for it, because I'm pretty sure the people crowding around the remains of my Jeep weren't expecting to see a conscious and talking driver.

So naturally, I'm wasting my first hour back from the hospital here. Maybe they need to do another cat scan.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Thank God you're OK, MM.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Second that brother. Glad you're OK

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Mystery Meat, I am glad I am not writing a RIP right now. Hope you feel better.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Glad you're doing OK . . . .

And I hope they catch the bastard who caused the accident.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Meat, glad you're okay. Was it a hit-and-run, or did the Lexus driver hang around to face the music?

Dreamer: Wrong Waltrip, and not really funny.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn, dude. Call me today if you are up to it, just to check in and all.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. What a frightening story. I am glad you are OK, MM.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thank goodness you're okay, MM. Sadly, the 'real pain' of your accident is about to begin -- the insurance nightmare. Good luck!

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow, meat. Scary stuff. We're all happy that you wore your seatbelt? I can't imagine how much pain you're in. Take it easy. I wish you a quick recovery.

I know my wreck two weeks ago shook me up a lot, and I didn't even have near the experience that you've described. Be prepared to drive with more caution. I don't trust a soul now. I brake for every car I see, and I can almost visualize them pulling out in front of me.

Of course, your health is the foremost concern. Let someone you know handle all the insurance bullshit, or at least as much of it as possible. That will make it easier on you to deal with recovering and so forth.

My insurance experience was a pain in the ass. I called on Wednesday to see about the payoff from the insurance people. It turns out that my paperwork was just sittingon some desk. Apparently, the guy was out for three days. Another employee actually pulled it off his desk and processed it. So I should get my check this Friday, exactly two weeks since my wreck. Of course, Kelly Blue Book lists the value of my car at $6,000 in fair condition. And they're only giving me $5,300. I was stupid to agree to that. Negotiate on the value of the vehicle just as you would at a dealership.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just PM me.

And I just can't get over that sliding on the roof thing. My heavens.

11. Wear the damn seatbelt!
    Glad to hear you're unbroken, Meat.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

MM, enjoy the extra blue sky, the extra green grass, (or, if you're in Cleveland, the extra-white snow), and hound your doctor unmercifully for copious amounts of oxycodone.

Glad you're still breathing, dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted