1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting freelance work on resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

As I'm putting together my resume, this question is coming up. I haven't been with a paper full-time for roughly a year, but I've been doing very steady freelance writing, including some beat and backup beat work, for a large paper. Typically, it seems like you would only put a paper at the top of your resume if you were actually employed there. But if you've been doing tons of work for one particular paper (literally hundreds of stories the past year), how would you tend to highlight that on your resume?

Do you put it at the top like it's your most recent employer but emphasize that it was freelance, while giving some details about what sort of stuff you did for them? Or would you move it down below since it's not an actual employer? I've also freelanced for other publications during this time, but I've gotten a tremendous amount of mileage out of this one. Any thoughts?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Put it high, since it's your most recent and prolific work, and be proud of it. Do make it clear that you were a correspondent but detail those hundreds of stories. Perfectly legit gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted