1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting an offer on a house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Thanks for the help all.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I bought my place directly from the seller, so I can't help a lot with the agent thing, even though I have thoughts. The whole "buyer's agent" always struck me as a conflict of interest, too. That whole business seems like a conflict of interest to me, and here at least in NYC, I could totally see agents in cahoots with each other trying to boost their commissions. They just seem so slimy 75 percent of the time.

That is why when we entertained the idea of buying another place recently, we researched the market and neighborhood thoroughly ourselves, and made an offer on a place based on what WE could gather, not on the advice of an agent. Also, don't feel too attached to any house early in the process. There will always be a great home if you take your time, and you want to get it at the right price, not by any means necessary.

In this market, come up with your offer and then even lower it a bit. You can always negotiate if you are in the ballpark and come up a little if you are too low, but you can't bring an offer down once you have made it. That is basically what we did. The seller's agent was a real ass, but in the end, we basically said we had nothing more to discuss and weren't interested, and suddenly she came back negotiating within OUR range -- totally different tune (and less aggressive and condescending). We didn't end up buying the place, but for unrelated reasons (It was a co-op, and she had lied about a bunch of things and when we looked into the building's financials, which is important in an NYC co-op, they were a mess, which is a bad thing in co-op living).

In any case, I guess what I am saying is know the market, don't get into a frenzy in your mind over a home, and don't bid as if you absolutely have to have THAT home. There will be others, so bid as low as you reasonably can -- and chances are you are in the driver's seat if the housing market where you live is anything like it is in most of the country. So stay tough when negotiating, with the caveat that you have to have a little ability to read the other side and respond the right way in tone and in terms of counteroffers.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm here to advocate for getting an agent, especially when you are a newbie. Sure they have their interests, which is to get paid, but they understand the reality of the situation, they need to keep their good name and need repeat business and good references; at least the good ones.

My advice is to do as much research as you can in selecting your agent as the house of your dreams. Seriously. Ask everyone around you who they recommend for their agent; look at who is popular in the local RE section; ask those who you value their opinion who they used and why. The agent will hopefully be someone who understands that a quick sale is not always the best sale and who understands that a satisfied customer (from the buyer's side) will be a client later when they sell.

From my perspective, my agent took my wife and I around and looked at numerous houses on the weekend in different locations as we searched for our first house. He was very knowledgeable about the marketplace and found various different types. Ultimately, we bought a house that someone else in his office was selling, but he never gave us the hard sell and actually brought it up as kind of a "maybe you might want to look." For that, I always respected his judgment; we stayed in touch over the years, he gave us advice several times when we thought of selling, ultimately helped us sell that house and directed us to our next buyer's agent.

Good luck.

4. maberger

maberger Member

like any other kind of salesmen, RE agents fall into the good and the bad. just don't ever forget that salesmen is what they are, and that nowadays much of what you previously needed them for you can discover and learn on your own.

unless you are looking for highly specialized RE, like a NYC coop, an agent's work consists of finding the property (which you can now do online yourself), finding the comps (which you can now do online yourself) and walking you through the papers (which you can learn about by reading 'Home Buying for Dummies').

Is that worth three percent of your purchase price?

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Shopping for the right agent, if you're going to go through one, is probably equally important as shopping for the right house. When I considered getting a house a couple of years ago, I felt that the agent I was working with was trying too hard to sell me places I didn't want to consider. There is only me, so I figured maybe a 2-bedroom, using one of them as a place guests could stay or as an office. She'd show me 3-bedroom houses. I had a specific price in mind. She was trying to get me to buy houses 10 to 20K over what I was looking to pay. I wanted to live in town. She tried to drag me to a place 12 miles out of town. It seemed everything I wanted, she wanted the opposite. She even showed me a house that had seven layers of shingles on the roof and then said she doubted it would pass inspection. They why bother showing me that house?

I ended up renting. I'm looking to buy again now but this time, I'm going to make sure I get the right agent who can at least balance my needs and the seller's needs*.

As a side note, the agency the other relator worked for went belly up about 3 months ago. The housing market in this town is so out of whack against the seller, it's awful. People are moving out, no one's moving in and there have been houses empty for 2 and 3 years. I had an ex-girlfriend who had her place on the market 2 1/2 years with two relators and lowered the price four times before she just gave up and rented it to her son.

* - If you were a seller and I came along wanting to buy your house but your agent kept steering me away from you, how happy would you be?

Draft saved Draft deleted