1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting a high schooler on the cover of Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, May 16, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LeBron James and Bryce Harper were also juniors when on the SI cover, no? (I know Harper was, because he skipped his senior year and went to junior college).

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I think Felipe Lopez was on the cover when he was in HS.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Just pointing out that it's easier to justify putting a youngster out there who is competing with the world's best vs. one competing with kids wondering if Suzy will go to the prom with them.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given the direction sports coverage is heading I think this is going to become more common.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or maybe because one day they WOULD do those things.

[​IMG]

Of course, SI was scooped by World Tennis magazine, who had her on the cover as a 4-year-old.

[​IMG]

I don't think 13-year-old (or a 4-year-old) Tracy Austin was a household name. That's what makes it fascinating when they do choose to profile someone so young.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's sad. Agassi very poignantly told of the big hurdles being pressed to be a tennis prodigy puts in front of you as far as becoming a normal person. And Agassi lasted much longer than Austin

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. Being on the cover should be for accomplishing something. But as AQB notes, we're in an era where the sizzle is confused with the steak.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it was back injuries that cut Austin down. She wasn't one of those burnout babes. She lived up to the hype (30 titles --- that's five more than Maria Sharapova, BTW) until injuries stopped her.

9. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Bigger and more culturally relevant question: What about putting a high schooler on the cover page of Deadspin?
    http://deadsp.in/Jl0rJH

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Are you implying he's not?

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Harper was a sophomore. He got his GED at the end of his sophomore year, finished his year of college as a junior and entered the draft one year ahead of when people coming out of high school would've.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just one example in an endless list.

Draft saved Draft deleted