1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puto !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 21, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I could envision circumstances in which a given sports team is held responsible for its fans behavior, but certainly not when said behavior occurs at a neutral site half a continent away from that team's home.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The chant is louder today than it was for Mexico's first two matches.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, unless the person is referring to an actual body action, then the terms are misleading. Someone may say "that call pissed me off". Well, unless he pulled down his pants and urinated, that term is inaccurate. "They screwed us over". Really? Did they use a flathead or Phillips to do the job?

"We played like crap today." Does that mean your team all needed a dose of Pepto Bismol before the game? People need to better select their choice of words.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I thought in the context it is used in soccer it's more like asshole. As in the garbage US chant You Suck Asshole.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Holy hell, that is a stupid argument. There are thousands of words and phrases that in common usage have different meanings than their literal definitions. Misleading? To who? An idiot?

6. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

It's probably pretty close to that. I asked a friend how he would have interpreted the chant and he said, "You're a sorry bitch."

People are making a much bigger deal out of this than they should.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

Who are you to decide who should be offended!

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

It's quite comical what people can get away with at stadiums these days. You can sit at a game and MF the third baseman all game long and nobody blinks, but if you call him "a slur" or anything that can be interpreted as "A slur" then you risk being arrested and charged with a hate crime.

9. YankeeFan

At least no one has thrown a banana yet.

10. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

That's a good point. Compared to what happens regularly in Europe, this is nothing. Doesn't make it OK, but it adds a little perspective.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny. ... You know, coming from you.

12. YankeeFan

No. I don't know.

Explain it to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted