1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puto !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You are correct.

La puta means prostitute or whore or several other insults.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Do you have "Cup Fever" Boom?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nah but I'm hot for the daily wag photos in the NY Post

4. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The way it's most frequently used, at least in Mexico, would be the equivalent of "bitch" sometimes the same way "cholo" is used.

Obviously, it's derogatory, and it can be used in many different ways, but I don't think this is the equivalent of the crowd chanting "faggot"

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There are some babes out there, no doubt.
    Dudes say they're going for the beautiful game but it's really to be buzzing around all those honeys.
    The rest are there to watch soccer.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mexico's HC says slur is no big deal. Nothing to see here. Move along.

http://soccer.fusion.net/2014/06/20/mexicos-world-cup-coach-defends-homophobic-chant/

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was at a Spain v. Norway match many years ago. Every time a call went against Spain, the crowd chanted "hijo de puta" at the ref. I'm pretty sure that was closer to son of a bitch or son of a whore than it was son of a dyke. People chant stuff a sporting events. Most of the world doesn't get their panties in a bunch about it the way ours does ... just ask Ozzie Guillen!

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Puta and puto are different. Puta is whore.

Puto is more of a vague term that is used in many different ways.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

"Puto" can have a number of different meanings. Ask different Spanish speakers and you'll probably get a number of answers. Just like "bitch" has evolved to mean a number of things in English, but is almost never used literally.

But "puto" it is certainly a slur. Mexico's coach insinuating that it isn't is ridiculous.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FIFA ends investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27985757

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

First, I have never heard of the word and had no idea what it meant. If I didn't know what it meant, how could I be offended?

Second, how on earth is ANY team supposed to be able to control the behavior of all of its fans? We've all come across incidents of fan behavior far, far worse than this. Bad behaving fans exist in every sport at every level. It's normally a small minority. But what, exactly, is the team or coach or manager supposed to do?

Third, as a news organization, why shrink from reporting the facts of the story? You're not libeling anyone. I some stories online (not NYT) last week and after reading them, asked "what exactly did these people do that touched off the firestorm?" because the story never told me.

Many years ago, I wrote a story where a high school player shot the finger at some opposing fans who had been taunting him. I used the term "inappropriate hand gesture" and a lot of people later asked me "What did he do?" So I wondered if I should have been more specific in the details.

Don't understand why certain words (outside of bathroom language, when it really doesn't describe the facts) are becoming taboo in our society to print or speak.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

To your third point, I would direct you to my copy desk, which regularly changes words when I quote people saying "screwed," "pissed" and "crap." Who, exactly, is offended by those words in our current culture?

Draft saved Draft deleted