1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puto !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Spanish word for fag or coward chanted by Mexican soccer fans at The World Cup and the
    word that The New York Times does not want to write in their story about the chant.
    Just do not see the need for The Times to be so vague in a news story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/sports/worldcup/fifa-looking-into-possible-use-of-gay-slur-by-mexican-fans.html

"SÃO PAULO, Brazil — FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Mexico team for what it has called the “improper conduct of spectators” at the World Cup.

Mexican fans taunted the opposing goalkeepers in Mexico’s 1-0 victory over Cameroon last Friday and in Tuesday’s 0-0 tie with Brazil with a traditional cheer that ends by shouting a word widely regarded as a derogatory term used against gays."

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Many soccer haters chant the same thing.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/06/20/mexico-coach-defends-fans-chanting-gay-slur-not-that-bad/

Said coach, by the way, made Olbermann's list for yesterday's Worst People in Sports.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From two years of solid C-plus HS spanish under a former captain in the Cuban navy, I am pretty sure the literal translation of 'puto' is 'fucker.'

5. Boom_70

"Another stupid Mexican" / John Calipari

6. jr/shotglass

After four years of C-D HS Spanish, I've always thought the literal translation is "prostitute."

Which, I guess ... well ...

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's pretty much the same thing, but I don't believe either one necessarily implies homosexuality.

8. jr/shotglass

It depends on which whorehouse one visits, I would suppose.

9. Boom_70

In goggling the word it seems like it could mean whatever off color word you want it to
    mean.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh come on! Let's add 'chingate' in there if we are going to swear in Spanish!

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I thought 'maricon' or something was the Spanish slur. That's what Yunel Escobar wrote on his eyeblack patches and got in hot water for it.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think that was also what Benny Paret said to Emile Griffith before their last fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted