1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PUT THAT PASTA DOWN! Or, fun with NCAA secondary violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

All of these are minor, as are the penalties, but it's always interesting to read about some of the silliness involved when teams self-report a batch of secondary recruiting violations. In this case, it's a list of Oklahoma's transgressions over the past couple of years.
    Seems the Sooners were up to some evil, dastardly recruiting tactics like pocket dialing recruits, replying to text messages from parents, and doodling on envelopes.
    This one, though, has been making the rounds as a prime example of NCAA idiocy:

http://newsok.com/ou-releases-list-of-self-reported-ncaa-violations/article/3934985

The more irksome part of these is the penalties on the recruits themselves. For sending a text message or taking an extra helping of pasta, a recruit could be heavily penalized. Some of the penalties were to cut off contact between coaches and recruits or to make the recruit ineligible to sign with Oklahoma for something that was either stupid or completely out of their control.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First they came after the athletes for their scholarships ... and I did nothing.

Then they came after Johnny Manziel ... and I did nothing.

Then they attacked water hoses ... and I did nothing.

Then they went after Cleveland State ... and I did nothing.

Finally, they came for my pasta ... and there was nobody left to speak for me.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is why you always go for the unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just how much is the permissible amount of pasta the NCAA allows? Also, does it vary from spaghetti to fettuccine? If mac and cheese is served as a side dish, how much is allowed? What about pasta salad?

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Good thing they didn't get an extra serving of protein. That's what brought SMU down.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I believe it is 12.84 noodles per person for stringed pastas, or a combination of 30 stringed and noodle-based pastas.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Careful now. One extra piece of lettuce and it's three years probation. Add a crouton and it's the death penalty.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Culinary Institute of America is about to get put on probation.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, the NCAA has suspended Oregon State pitcher Ben Wetzler for supposedly having an advisor with him while he was negotiating with the Phillies last year. He was a 5th-round draft choice, and turned them down. Even though this is standard practice for every college junior/high school senior, the NCAA rules on it are hazy and the Phillies broke an unwritten MLB rule and blew him and Washington State's Jason Monda, their 6th round pick who also did not sign, into the NCAA.

Monda was cleared the day before the season started. Wetzler's case has not been resolved, even though the NCAA has been investigating since NOVEMBER, and he's sitting out this weekend too. Apparently the NCAA can somehow clear Johnny Football and Cam Newton in 48 hours despite very credible evidence of extra benefits, but it takes more than five months to figure out Wetzler's case.

Fuck the NCAA, for not allowing draft picks to have advisors to protect their interests, and fuck the Phillies too.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe the NCAA doesn't want them carb-loading...

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Would we be having this conversation if the Italian restaurants in Oklahoma had an "all you can eat" pasta night like some here in New Jersey do?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Johnson & Wales is gonna get hammered.

Draft saved Draft deleted