1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Put another pot of coffee on in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 13, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That's more of a historical accident than statement about Obama's chances this time around.

Every few election cycles, the country changes. West Virginia is the most uneducated, least progressive, most homogenous state we have. Something like 25 percent of voters admitted -- ADMITTED -- in exit polls that race was a factor in their vote.

Obama doesn't need West Virginia, especially when you look at his prospects of picking off states like Nebraska, North Dakota and Montana. There is no question Obama can win the Carolinas. In South Carolina right now, the Obama-McCain polls are basically dead even. Virginia and Georgia are possibilities too. This could be a very different electoral map that people aren't used to seeing.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Red, I'd genuinely like to know how you feel McCain differs from Bush enough to truly set himself apart. Not meaning this in a snarky way at all, but genuinely interested in what separates the two of them in your mind, and as a voter.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Name two states that Obama could win that Kerry didn't?
    Two states that Kerry lost, that Obama has locked up without naming a Veep, and that, of course, could be crucial.
    Your choices are:
    Alabama
    Alaska
    Arkansas
    Arizona
    Florida
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahom
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Wyoming

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Montana and Missouri, to start.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Done. Or does my post not count because I named more than two?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If he wins those, plus the typically blue states, what other locales would he have to win to get enough electoral votes?

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That's a good list.

A couple longshots could be Indiana and Texas. If you look at the early polls, Obama is surprisingly close to McCain in those states.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Iowa.

Louisiana.

Missouri.

Montana.

New Mexico.

Virginia.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If he wins those, plus MA, IL, CA, MD, MI, NY, NJ, WI, MN, OR and WA (which he will), he wins. That's not even counting the rest of New England.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Spinning, I like Obama, but he's not winning Texas. If he did, it would be a massive shock to me and many others.

11. We're assuming Obama loses none of the states Kerry won, of course.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, that was kinda the whole premise of the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted